PDA

View Full Version : Second flight 2019 out of WIMAC

pauldaigle
2019-10-20, 06:07 PM
Been a while since the test of the first one in 10 years, all went well with the little Piper cub foamy just a bit all over the place with a bit of wind. Got a new plane to test tomorrow an Extra 300 1.3m from Horizon AKA E-flite, their all the same just different names because of the chapter 11 bankruptcy in the USA for all those companies including Hanger9, and many other well known names that have been absorbed in the downfall of manufacturers involved in the RC hobby.
Anyway, will be there at 11 AM tomorrow given good weather for the Maiden flight. No Video or picture Dudes welcomed. They can come some other time later, much later!:)

Jdonald
2019-10-20, 09:31 PM
The Extra 300 3D 1.3m is setup for 3D. For fly around mode I had to adjust the control surfaces for less throw and more resolution. On take off stay on the rudder as it has a strong tendacy pull hard to the left. I found the plane did a lot of bouncing on the runway. Removed the wheel pants and replaced the tires with Dubro low bounce wheels. Ted's hobby shop in Pointe Claire has them in stock. I am flying with a 3s5000 battery. With the recommended 4s2200 flight time is only 3 minutes max. Plenty of power even on 3s. However if you plan on flying 3D go with 4s2200 and factory control surface recommendations. This is a great flying plane.

Dougf
2019-10-21, 10:00 AM
Looks like a nice day for flying, be there around 11am also

pauldaigle
2019-10-21, 02:23 PM
Thanks so much for the reply and info John. Did the Maiden and confirms all that you said.
I did have the trim set on the rudder to a right side correction to cancel the propeller tork effect but maybe a bit too much took off to the right no wind so just let go as is because the point today was to trim the plane for level flight. Anyway as you said the 3D set up is a bit over the edge:-) for my capabilities right now but managed to control the thing. At the safe settings it takes a lot of joy stick input to even turn it around and you are constantly fighting the Gyro with the sticks to make it do a nice slow and gentle horizontal flight. I downloaded the settings from Hobby Zone for this plane but need to tweak them a bit for my style of flying. FYI made a not so bad landing maybe a bit hard but as you said, on touchdown it is a crazy beast with the bouncing, bent the right landing gear wire and spent the rest of the day trying to get the thing straight again. Might just get those tires you recommended or will try a grass landing next time..
Thanks again for your help John.

pauldaigle
2019-10-21, 02:36 PM
Hi Doug was a pleasure to meet you today hopefully the weather shall bless us with many more days like today. Sorry I had to leave before your flights got going but needed a bit of repair on the extra 300 after the first flight with bent landing gear, and batteries all dead. Got to figure out how to charge the thing from my car batterie some day, but landing gear is fixed AOK. This is my first year with electric and need to get up to pace all this stuff. Still have my old Nitro planes on FM receivers but not sure if I want to spend the time and money to convert everything. Maybe a winter project.
Cheers,

Jdonald
2019-10-21, 08:45 PM
Hi Paul, what a nice calm day to maiden the Extra 300. The low bounce wheel size I use is 2-3/4". Bought the 2-1/2" also but went with a gut feeling the 2-3/4" would solve the bouncing when taking off and after landing.

pauldaigle
2019-10-22, 01:13 PM
Hi Paul, what a nice calm day to maiden the Extra 300. The low bounce wheel size I use is 2-3/4". Bought the 2-1/2" also but went with a gut feeling the 2-3/4" would solve the bouncing when taking off and after landing.

Thanks John just wondering if the 2-3/4" low bounce tires fit into the original plastic wheel pants as they give the plane that stock look.

Jdonald
2019-10-22, 09:37 PM
To install 2-3/4" the wheel pants need to be removed. Tomorrow I will test the 2-1/2" and 2-1/4"" fit with the wheel pants. I fly without the wheel pants. I agree the plane looks super with the wheel pants installed.

Jdonald
2019-10-23, 08:02 PM
Just had a look at the wheel pants and the original wheels. The problem I had was caused by the wheels sliding on the axle and rubbing on the sides of the wheel pants. The bottom of the wheel pants on my plane are quite sharp and actually cut into the side wall on one of the tires. This was acting as brake on causing the plane to wander from side to side on the runway. To compensate the rudder was used the keep the plane aiming straight. The solution for me would be to install washers on the axle to remove the play. But when I tested the low bounce tires the bouncing and braking action was gone and the tires added a little of supension. So I just left the plane with the pants removed. I think I can trim the pants to fit the low bounce wheels and add shims to remove the play, but I will leave that for a winter project. You could have a look to check if this is affecting your Extra 300 1.3m. I have seen on a forum other people have also encountered this design flaw. Hope this helps.

pauldaigle
2019-10-24, 01:06 PM
Roger that. Further to your last post, the wheel pants do rub against the side walls which would explain the back and forth wabble on take off and landing.
I think the washer solution will solve everything as I had the landing gear assembly fully apart and seems to me that the tires are soft enough not to bounce normally unless they are subjected to other forces like the breaking effect you mention. Anyway I will try the washer trick with stock assembly and let you know the result.
Cheers.