PDA

View Full Version : New Super Stearman Mods for Gas

bob forest
2007-01-25, 05:46 PM
I picked up my New Super Stearman by Great Planes kit today, and started doing the mods for Gas FPE 40cc. As you can see in the first pic, the triangle has to go, as the engine is wider than the Saito's 120 to 150 4 strokes. I put the screw driver and the triangle comes off. then sand. Then mad a 1/4" plate with the large blind nuts which is glue on the back of the firewall inside where the gas tanks goes. You can see the 1/4' ply in the pic. This is the one from the crash. Then to do, will put carbon fiber inside on the firewall around the edges. Back to the front of the firewall, I will put another layer of epoxy. So that is where I am now,
Those holes in that 1/4" piece are for lightning. Does not look good, but who is going to see it. Those bolts are in there to tightened the plate as the glue is drying .30 minute epoxy.

bob forest
2007-01-25, 05:52 PM
I am also starting to reinforce the landing gear plate. This is a week point of this plane. Mine had to be fixed at least 5 times, so now I know what to do. I will be putting carbon fiber along both sides on the outside of the plane. This is the first piece. Then I will do the same on the inside using mirrors, as you can't see the plate by just looking in the hole. vaseline on the blind nuts and the apply the carbon fiber.
I will post pics as the work gets on.

bob forest
2007-01-26, 11:16 AM
The 1/4 plywood extra thickness is now dry. I used the long bolts with reverse blind nuts to put more pressure for the drying process. Then you see the reinforcements carbon fiber for the landing gear. Also the see the finished 4 new hole location on the firewall, and the old blind nut location. The blind nuts that were pre installed, I popped them out. Just the four holes showing. You can see the difference from what they recommend for engine size and my 40 cc engine bolt location.
Then you see the carbon fiber reinforcement on the inside of the firewall. Not much left to do re doing reinforcement up front.

xed
2007-01-26, 11:42 AM
Looking good Bob, you should have this bird up in no time!

bob forest
2007-01-26, 05:36 PM
Starting to put the hinges in the wings. First thing you do, when you get the kit, is throw away the CA hinges, especially if you are going to use gas engine. Go to the Robarts, with the Gorilla glue, that works best for me, never had one come apart.

beto9
2007-01-26, 06:16 PM
Yes, I think that the CA hinges become brittle with cold... I will really check mine everytime I fly this winter, let's say, in May....

bob forest
2007-01-26, 06:56 PM
Not only to the cold, but vibration even in the summer. I have heard very bad things happening with these hinges. I had them on another plane, which fI cant remember which one, but had these ca hinges, and two of them had come loose on the elevators. Luckily I had seen it before something had happened. I remember, it was my Four Star 60.

Dwight Macdonald
2007-01-27, 12:26 AM
Very nice to see the illustrated building process Bob!

bob forest
2007-01-27, 02:59 PM
You can see how tight I am now with all the planes. Also the 4 half wings from the crash, they are in really good shape, and I am going to keep them, as many of us have this plane, and if anyone needs a half wing for repair, will give it to you.

bob forest
2007-01-30, 03:28 PM
I now have the wings joined and the servos installed in the bottom wing. They did one little change on the bottom wing from my first stearman, in that they went to a plastic dowel for the wing guides. I don't see a problem with that right now, will know how they take the vibration of a gas engine.
I also glue the stab and fin inplace, so letting that dry with 30 minute epoxy. Once that is done, will start putting the horns on the elevator and ailorons and rudder.
That's it for now, so far no problems, the kit is really a nice one, and I highly recommend it.

bob forest
2007-01-30, 03:31 PM
By the way, the Wringkles will be iron out after I finish the plane. The worst parts are the ailorons, the rest is pretty good, a bit of wrinkles on the top ofthe fuse. This is pretty normal for these ARF's.

beto9
2007-01-30, 03:47 PM
What about your face, how do you smooth those wrinkles?

Patrick Fortin
2007-01-30, 03:51 PM
That workshop looks to clutered..........I would be more then happy
to take stuff of your hands...........

Pat

bob forest
2007-01-30, 09:36 PM
Re wrinkles on my face. Where are they.
Pat, my workshop clutered, you ask?. I am surprised. I just cleaned it, I thought it looked good. You are starting to sound like my wife.

Eric Marchand
2007-02-01, 01:47 AM
A clutered mind is a problem...A clutered workshop, well, that's what you call "home"...

bob forest
2007-02-01, 12:28 PM
As you can see, more work has been done. You can now see the engine spacer installed, also this spacer is not glued to the firewall, as in case I might want to change the thrust angle. I take it off and do a little sanding.
Another good thing is the box. I use the box to sit the plane on it, so that it sits higher, and easy to see the fittings on the wing. This is the stage where you fit the top wing so that the cabane struts sit on the fuse. I have a pin to make sure the holes are lined up with the hardwood rail that sits underneath. So far so good, everything lined up.
Now back to work on the Stearman.

bob forest
2007-02-02, 09:48 PM
Well we are getting there. The engine is installed and the throttle connection is done. Now fitting the cowling and that seems to be going very well. You will notice, where the wires come out from the firewall, I have a rubber grommet, I get these at Canadian Tire, They do the job of protecting the wiring from rubbing on wood.
if things keep going at this pace, should have it for next weekend.

beto9
2007-02-03, 12:23 AM
Way to go Bob!!!
I hope to be there for the "unveiling"!

bob forest
2007-02-03, 03:40 PM
As you can see my original steel wool hair pilot is back in his seat. I still have to paint the black cockpit and glue in the instruments. The fake radial is done, that is a neat system the GP has for holding in place with the elastic bands. It looks good for the coming weekend.

bob forest
2007-02-05, 01:03 PM
Well, got the canopies and the top fuselage strip glue on with Canopy glue. Also finished the riviting job, with the GP rivet tack on. makes life easier. So not much left, getting there. Still have to install the Rudder and the tail whell, then place the power packs and receiver. Servos and pushrods all installed.

xed
2007-02-05, 01:09 PM
Looking good...

What did you decide on batteries, using the same ones?

bob forest
2007-02-05, 02:25 PM
Looking good...

What did you decide on batteries, using the same ones?

I am putting the Nicads on the receiver and the Nickle metal Hydrate on the ignition. I recharged all the batteries and they are looking good. It was my fault, even when you think of it, the long walk to get the plane, that was an easy 10 minutes so almost like another flight, that would of made it 5 flights in the cold and idiot me, went and filled her up for another flight without checking.

beto9
2007-02-05, 02:43 PM
We all smack our foreheads after a "Oh, so easy to figure it out!" mistake...
It was regretably that such a veteran plane will find that demise...
Make a mistake once and is called experience, make the same again and is called... (fill the blank...)
Remember, I want to be there for the inaugural flight! I want to see those rivets!

Dwight Macdonald
2007-02-05, 11:43 PM
Looking good Bob! Will it be much lighter than the old one ... without all the extra epoxy?

bob forest
2007-02-05, 11:58 PM
Looking good Bob! Will it be much lighter than the old one ... without all the extra epoxy?
I hope so, I have not weight it yet. nor balance it yet.
I hope I can save a couple of pounds over the last one. The old stearman was up to 18lbs. If this one finishes around 16 I will be very happy.

bob forest
2007-02-08, 03:03 PM
The good News is that the Stearman is finished and balanced, it came out at 15 1/2 lbs, which I am more than happy, as the old one was at 18 lbs.
The Bad News, is that I just found out the engine did get damaged in the crash. before it had not noises, but I tried to start it, and after a couple of engine pops, then the engine was definitely tighter and some scratchy noises. So back to the factory.
Wont be flying the Stearman for at least 3 weeks, I hope.
So it will be quiet on the Stearman front. Hope you all enjoyed the build.

xed
2007-02-08, 03:30 PM
You are not finished yet Bob.. I see something very wrong with it.

bob forest
2007-02-08, 04:59 PM
You are not finished yet Bob.. I see something very wrong with it.
Ok, you got me guessing, what is it. I know the muffler holes aren't done yet for the inverted muffler. I can't put the wheel pants on, with the skis. I tried, and the wheel pants were not long enough. what else is there. Please Greg, I have to sleep tonight.

xed
2007-02-08, 06:07 PM
There are no d _ _ _ _ s! COME ON Bob!!!

bob forest
2007-02-08, 07:08 PM
There are no d _ _ _ _ s! COME ON Bob!!!
The Maple Leaf and Canada are on the bottom wing, looks really neat. Now I will have some time to put some on. I agree, looks better with the decals.

xed
2007-02-08, 09:04 PM
What about your 1st Place Engine decals, you didn't use them all already did you?

bob forest
2007-02-08, 09:22 PM
What about your 1st Place Engine decals, you didn't use them all already did you?

Will be putting on the FPE decal, but only when I cut out the holes for the two pipes from the muffler. I want to make sure they are not in the way of the decal. Starting to put some on. Will send engine out tomorrow, spoke to Kurt the owner of FPE, he will get on it as soon as he gets it.

bob forest
2007-02-10, 05:03 PM
Since now the engine is on it's way to the factory, it gave me time to add a few more decals.

xed
2007-02-11, 08:08 PM
There must be easier ways to get rid of the epoxy on the stab than crashing it Bob. :shocked:

Eric Marchand
2007-02-11, 08:13 PM
Hey Bob, sounds like the engine bearings might have taken the grunt of the impact. Can I be of service ?

bob forest
2007-02-11, 08:34 PM
Hey Bob, sounds like the engine bearings might have taken the grunt of the impact. Can I be of service ?
Eric, the engine went back on Friday. I was told today about your knowledge of engines. I hope I don't eve have to use your help, but if it does happen, I will call you next time. Thanks for the offer.

bob forest
2007-02-11, 08:35 PM
Greg, how do you think I had weight, for balancing. Expoxy is the answer.

bob forest
2007-02-16, 08:39 AM
Well, Kurt phoned me yesterday from FPE and gave me the good news, only the bearing went. Sleeve, piston, rings, all in excellent condition, and also with all those gallons of fuel in her no carbon or hardly any to speak off. So the Bell Ray oil he recommends, which is available here in Vaudreil or any Ski Doo dealer, works well.
He put in new gasgets, changes the idle and high speed screws, that were damaged in the crash. So now I have $70.00 less in my pockets. So I should have it back by tuesday wor Wed.
He ran the engine, re set the screws, and now it is on its way back, can't wait.

beto9
2007-02-16, 08:49 AM
Does it means a lake first flight?

bob forest
2007-02-16, 09:59 AM
Does it means a lake first flight?
It sure does.

bob forest
2007-02-22, 07:36 PM
Well got my engine back today. It is now installed. Kurt also sent me back the two bearring. I would be currious to know why both are not the same.
Tomorrow I will run the engine here at home to make sure all is OK and then Sat will go and fly it at the lake if the weather permits.

beto9
2007-02-22, 10:04 PM
You lost your bearings, Bob?

bob forest
2007-02-23, 08:13 AM
Yes, luckily I have a GPS

bob forest
2007-03-03, 12:04 PM
Well, went for my first walk, wow, what a beautiful day. I am sure many of you were flying today, maybe the lake.
after my walk, I decided to run my engine, to see if I did the install ok. It started on the fourth flip and I had to lean it out a bit, that was it. I ran it for about 4 minutes, nice idle, seem to work like beofre. Now will put the cowling back on, and hopefully will fly it this coming week.
Now to go and rest my legs.

bob forest
2007-03-24, 06:39 PM
these were pics taken by Greg Patterson. The Stearman flying and showing the maple leaf. So now that is the end of this thread for me. Enjoyed posting it.

Dwight Macdonald
2007-03-26, 11:48 PM
Nice story with a beautiful pictorial ending Bob!