PDA

View Full Version : Wing bags.

beto9
2008-05-01, 11:12 AM
Of course, with my new Aeroworks Yak 54 I had to get some wing bags to protect them while bouncing around in the car.
I found that Ikea has some Queen size quilts, very cheap... look at
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/rooms/bedroom/10685/

and check the Mysa Grass. Is marked at $12.99 but I paid $ 8.99
If you have somebody who can manage a sewing machine you are all set, otherwise spend some extra moola with a seamstress and you can have bags made for 4 wings....

How cheap can you get?

Another public service by the resident ex-SOB!

Eric Marchand
2008-05-01, 06:25 PM
I've been seeing wing bags made from some kind of insulation material, held together with metallic tape. I don't know how much these cost, but they did look sharp.

I think Bob has some of those.

bob forest
2008-05-01, 06:34 PM
Yes I do have them, but their is one problem with them. They mark the wings. You get black marks on them. They would work very well if you glued the quilt material to the inside. I think that would work well. The insulation material you get at Home depot or Reno Depot. What I would do is lay down the material, then cover the inside part that you want, contact glue the quilt material or any soft type material to the insualation. then cut to shape, and then tape with the insulation tape. To me that would make the ideal bag. Now that I mentioned it. I think that is what I am going to do.

stephane.savard
2008-05-01, 06:36 PM
What about spreading the big fluffy quilt in the back of your car? :)

bob forest
2008-05-01, 07:55 PM
not good, the wings would slide around. The beauty of the wing bags is that even if the wings move around, no damage to them.

xed
2008-05-01, 08:08 PM
My wings (in my bag) blew over with a gust of wind on hard ice and some pavement, no damage what-so-ever.

bob forest
2008-05-01, 09:56 PM
Greg, you would have a hell of a hard time now, for the wind to blow them over on the ice. Don't you miss it already.

zorba
2008-05-03, 09:41 PM
What kind of bags will you use if your wing has two engines on it with big nacelles? eh?
and they are 7 feet long? eh?
having said that now you know what kind of a bird I'm talking about.
Cheers

zorba
2008-05-03, 09:46 PM
Here's a couple of shots.