PDA

View Full Version : Skyward 120 engine selection

Dougf
2020-12-13, 11:15 AM
Recently bought one of David's kits, its a beast!

It needs a beam mounted engine, and from what I can see, 30cc 2 stroke gas is the way to go, although I have seen a post on RC Canada that someone put a DLE 20 in one. Would hate to have it under powered, AUW should be about 20lbs. Does anyone know of a good 30cc gas engine that can be beam mounted? The manual recommends 90-108 cu in 2 cycle or 120 cu in 4 cycle on the glow side and forum comments seem to say this is a bit low. Thanks Doug

Mezri
2020-12-13, 06:46 PM
Hi Doug, dont be oliged to use beams...the best engines 30cc gaz are not beam monted...most are plot mounted...it is easy to set.

Dougf
2020-12-13, 08:00 PM
Thanks Mezri. Unfortunately the model has hardwood engine mount rails which are already part of the structure. I am attaching a couple of pictures. I want to avoid major surgery of cutting off the rails and installing standoffs if at all possible. I may go down to the DLE20 if needed, but prefer to install a 30cc.
Doug

Sempai-mj
2020-12-14, 12:20 PM
Do have the mounting template for post mounts.
You might be able to cut the beam section and cowl flush and install the gasser.
20cc too small for your 120 Skywqard.

See the mounting in the picture.

Dougf
2021-02-02, 03:48 PM
Do have the mounting template for post mounts.
You might be able to cut the beam section and cowl flush and install the gasser.
20cc too small for your 120 Skywqard.

See the mounting in the picture.

Hi Mike,
I finally smelled the coffee on the DLE20, agree not the best to start off under powered on a new plane. After a bit of research, discovered an NGH35cc 2 stroke with beam mounts and a fairly good reputation. I'm installing it now. I'll post pictures when it looks presentable. Thanks for comments from you and Mezri. Doug

Sempai-mj
2021-02-04, 07:40 AM
Cool:cool: Send pics when ready!

Dougf
2021-02-04, 11:15 AM
Will do.

As I am sanding down the hard wood beam mounts, I'm wondering what is a good covering to replace the black paint and protect the bare wood. In the "old days" I used clear and colored dope in bottles and a brush to protect balsa and plywood from slimy nitro. Not sure what is used to protect against gas. I use CA in firewall holes, but for larger surfaces? What do you guys use? Thanks

Dougf
2021-02-04, 11:26 AM
Z-Poxy finishing resin comes to mind, though it is a clear finish.

Sempai-mj
2021-02-05, 05:03 AM
Z-Poxy finishing resin comes to mind, though it is a clear finish.

You can use Epoxy with a bit of Alcohol to thin it.
I used Clear spray on Varathane in the past that seemed to work, a couples of coats.

Dougf
2021-02-06, 01:28 PM
Cool:cool: Send pics when ready!

Here are some pics of the installed engine.

Ian
2021-02-06, 03:20 PM
Here are some pics of the installed engine.

Nice installation Doug, looks like that engine is an excellent choice for the air frame. And impressive workshop by the way, I can imagine more projects coming out of it. Now, if only you would give your Goldberg Senior Falcon some attention :)

Dougf
2021-02-06, 06:08 PM
Nice installation Doug, looks like that engine is an excellent choice for the air frame. And impressive workshop by the way, I can imagine more projects coming out of it. Now, if only you would give your Goldberg Senior Falcon some attention :)

Hi Ian,
I hope to show it some love this winter. Plenty of time at home these days :)

Hope all is well.

Doug

Dwight Macdonald
2021-02-06, 10:37 PM
Looking good Doug. I'm sure you will enjoy having lots of power!

Mezri
2021-02-07, 06:19 PM
The trainer can handle the extra weight....But keep in mind that you better have light plane than a powerful (havy) plane.
Try to pay attention to the weight when choosing the other accessories...to remain around the recommanded weight.
Have fun.