PDA

View Full Version : Piper Pawnee

Safety First
2008-05-09, 05:56 PM
Ordered it today ...ARF 1/5 scale, 80 inches wing span and different. Oh! very important for me plug-in wings (2).I may use 2 blades, 3 blades or 4 blades prop and it will remain scale. Wing loading 20-22 onz psf. Prototype 1957, initial production 1959.

So what's in the box?

Eric Marchand
2008-05-09, 08:48 PM
I think I know...There's only one plane you've been talking about...Isn't it some kind of an "ugly" bird, in a nice sort of way ?

Dwight Macdonald
2008-05-09, 10:24 PM
Nice to see some folks going for scale!

stephane.savard
2008-05-09, 10:46 PM
Hmm, the late 50's is not my area of expertise in scale planes. But are you sure it's "different"? Typically if it exists as an ARF it's because its some model that a great many people like!

Well, it's not going to be military (though I've read that the Lama is used by the Indian Air Force :D ) And for some reason Andre has a facination with crop dusting...

Whatever it is, will you be giving it the same treatment you gave the Tiger Moth? Strip it of covering and give it a real scale finish? :)

Safety First
2008-05-10, 05:13 AM
Desingned by Fred... ( he had a passion for safety). Construction steel tubing covered with fabric latest version fabric wings metal fuse. In production until 1983 also used as a glider tug. Structure desingned to collapse progressivly in a low speed crash. If the plane tip over the pilot is protected by a roll cage. Taylor Aircraft was involved at one point. The new owner bought the company for $761.00.

Stephane just might go hybrid metal fuse and fabric (Solartex) surfaces.:D

Yes! Eric just like me...

PS: OS .55 2c or Saito .82 not shure yet.

The first instructor to find it wins the maiden flight (club rules). :eek:

xed
2008-05-10, 06:20 AM
Piper PA-18 "Super Cub"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Piper_Super_Cub_1_1998-07-07.jpg/800px-Piper_Super_Cub_1_1998-07-07.jpg

Eric Marchand
2008-05-10, 07:47 AM
I say : Piper Pawnee 40, by Hangar 9

PaulG-rc
2008-05-10, 08:11 AM
Yup I say Pawnee too :D

PaulG-rc
2008-05-10, 09:19 AM
correct me if I'm wrong Andre but you had one before , no? or was it an AG Wagon ?

Safety First
2008-05-10, 09:20 AM
You got it Eric so you win a stressfull take off.

beto9
2008-05-10, 05:35 PM
Who said that ugly things cannot fly? See, and helis fly also... ooops, correct that... they h-o-v-e-r....

Eric Marchand
2008-05-10, 07:13 PM
Woo-hoo !!! Can't wait !!! I like that plane !!!

Safety First
2008-05-10, 10:26 PM
Yes Paul a Cesna AG- Wagon from Kyosho not such a great flyer.No plug in wings a lot of transport rashes. Sold it to Nabil the only thing I regret about that plane is the old style sqare head OS 50 heli engine. Great engine and sound. Thinking about a OS 55 ax or Saito .82 dont know anything about their reliability can't find a serious review and I don't know anybody flying these motors.

Eric I got to finish the Bell47 first I am shure you will be busy with daddy's trainer and the Tiger Moth. I might borrow Pierre plane for a couple of flight just to refine my approach for landing I would not want to be caught in the NFZ...

PaulG-rc
2008-05-10, 10:29 PM
Maybe you should consider YS engine, very reliable and they do sound great but they are a bit expensive.

Safety First
2008-05-10, 10:42 PM
Ys 4c or 2c?

PaulG-rc
2008-05-10, 10:44 PM
Both are very good but I would guess a 4c would be nicer on the PA25

Safety First
2008-05-10, 10:54 PM
I know I will look for the size available dont want to cut half of the cowling. Gone to YS web site...

Safety First
2008-05-10, 11:12 PM
Paul the only Ys that would fit in there would be the .63 which is the minimum on required motor size not going there.I just got to Os site they do have a new OS.81 FSA I will look into this one.

Eric Marchand
2008-05-10, 11:45 PM
André. I think Michael V. has a Saito 82 in his funtana X. Maybe he could tell you more about it ?

Safety First
2008-05-11, 04:43 PM
I sent an E- mail to Micheal today waiting for answer.:D

Safety First
2008-05-12, 10:07 AM
Ordered Saito .82 from Modéliste Piper expected may 24. Meanwhile I'll be working on the Bell47.

Michael V
2008-05-13, 12:43 PM
The satio .82 is a power house!
I can hover my 6lb Funtana at less than 1/2 throtle and then pull straight up.
I recommend a APC prop, the 4s like a little heaver of a prop, acks like a fly wheel. I am using a 14 4w and I am getting 9000 plus rpm :)
Later

loflyer2001
2008-05-14, 08:54 PM
Its a Pa25 AG sprayer. Some glider clubs do buy
it for glider towing. They sometime sell at low price
from foreclosures sales. COPA flight newspaper have
it for sale sometimes so is the American used aircraft for sale
newspaper. I have the plans for a 1/4 scale version
of the Grumman AG aircraft powered by a 35 cc.
I think Krish Blake had one large 1/4 scale with the
AG sprayer working....very impressive to see it doing
a low pass while doing a crop dusting.
Hobby Wholesale (Edmonton) has a nice ARF for sale
at $189.00.....I am tempted...why build at that price???

Guyl

bob forest
2008-05-14, 10:23 PM
This is the plane I bought in Toledo. It should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. RC Guys had an introduction price, which I could not resist. It has a 97" wingspan, for my FPE 40cc gasser. It evens comes with an pening door, with hinges and latches. This will be my project for next season, or maybe late fall for the fall spraying. It is the AG Wagon. RC Guys is a Canadian company, and make really first quality kits. They also have a Pitts which also interest me for a later date. That is Dan Speers the owner of the company shaking hands with me, after we signed the deal.

stephane.savard
2008-05-15, 07:00 AM
why build at that price???

Because there's more to this hobby than money and flying :)

bob forest
2008-05-15, 09:02 AM
Well I have a good excuse, First I built for most probably more than your age. So now I like to fly so that I can see the sun, feel the air and talk to friends, in the remaining years I have. Re the money, being on a pension, I can't afford to build now, so it is cheaper to buy. I built enough planes, scale, pattern and IMAC planes. I won RockCliff scale event in the 60's with a Foker 190. Plus I built enough planes, that if I crash my ARF's I know how to repair, and that is enough building for me.
But for the younger generation, they should build, so that they can learn and appreciate the hobby. But when starting in the hobby or sport, I think they should start with an ARF, so that they do not get discourage if they crash. ARF's are a good way of getting into the hobby and keeping the person in the hobby. Proof is USA Balsa sales increase about 6% per year. They said that is on account of the ARF's. A modeler get's into the hobby with an ARF, then learns to fly and in many cases wants to build something special. Then he goes to building from plans, or a kit, but it gets him into the building of models, so ARF's are good for this hobby. Just my thoughts on what is going on now.

stephane.savard
2008-05-15, 11:21 AM
My comment was not against ARFs in any way, or whether someone should purchase an ARF or a kit. It was just an observation that there is more to this hobby than money and flying. Back in those old days (which I was not a part of), some people detested building, but had no choice. But a few really did enjoy it, and some still do. And even some of the new modellers too! :)

I certainly don't build my own planes to save money, but rather to enjoy model building. I've been tempted by a certain ARF that I can't seem to find as a kit, and having difficulty finding as a plan; at which point I'd do like Andre and rip-out the covering to replace it with another color scheme and some scale details.

But anyway, back to the interesting plane here...

Andre, will you be making your plane with functional crop dusting? I had heard about Krish's own but never saw it in action. If you do go that route, do post pictures of how to do it!

beto9
2008-05-15, 11:53 AM
I seem to remember that Krish's Pawnee had a trap door that will dump flour... and it was found to be not very visible...
Probably Stan can shed some light on this....

xed
2008-05-15, 11:55 AM
I remember seeing Krish dump it a couple of times, it worked well once in a while depending upon wind conditions. I imagine it is quite a heavy weight addition though, flour is not light nor is it inexpensive anymore...

loflyer2001
2008-05-15, 07:05 PM
I agree with all of you about building and ARFs.
I admit it is nice to build then fly and like Bob said he
had his share of building. Amazing that he quit building
he is so young looking on that picture; I give him 39 at most. (lol)

I have an idea and wonder if that would work; Do think
along the lines of making smoke as we know it. It would
be injected and metered into the muffler system then
in some ways as part exhaust or full exhaust (yes there would
be some reduction in power...but who cares...your flying a
crop duster) the colored exhaust (water with RIT dye) would
circulate thru the scale like sprayers along the length of the wings.

The jets on the inboard side would most likely be made samaller
than the outboard ones for equal distribution.

Me 2 cents worth:hmm:
Guyl:

Dwight Macdonald
2008-05-15, 10:28 PM
Does water with RIT dye work well to generate colored smoke? The plane may never be the same color again ... and also the hands of the pilot after working with it ... the plane would need a special sticker ... "Handle With Gloves!"

Safety First
2008-05-16, 04:34 AM
I am thinking more about turning it into a "GLIDER TUG" and I know that Éric will be the right person to handle the glider. He does not know yet( please keep it a secret for now).But first thing first. Get the ARF, put her up there,have fun this summer,strip the covering next winter,re enforce the fuse,cover it with solartex,make the plane look as old and dirty as possible, isntall tow hook, get a cheap glider and hope for the best... This is not a purist project just want to have fun without spending my entire pension plan.

Simple down to earth project.