PDA

View Full Version : UAVs ?

peeks
2008-05-12, 12:24 PM
Hi all!

I'm a grad student at McGill and my thesis involves work with small-scale unmanned airships. At the moment, we're studying the behavior of an electric powered, 15 ft long x 5 ft dia helium-filled blimp and we need to run some tests outdoors to collect data from it. Our first idea was to try and join an RC club so as to use their space. From the FAQ, a UAV is defined as follows:

A radio controlled model aircraft is defined as weighing no more than 35kg (77.2lbs) and must remain in direct line of sight of the operator. Any other type of radio-controlled flying machine is classified as a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle). MAAC insures model aircraft. Our coverage does not extend to any type of UAV.

Based on this definition, it would seem that our airship could be flown since it weighs only ~7kg and is always within sight of the operator (it will fly in a 1-2 km radius around the operator). I was wondering if we'd be allowed to join WIMAC and fly this thing. It also has a manual override that allows it to be controlled by a joystick if necessary. I can provide more information about the vehicle if necessary. I'd really appreciate any inputs on whether there's a possibility of flying it.

Thanks!

Prashant

beto9
2008-05-12, 12:44 PM
A question you will have to consider is that a 1 or 2 Km. radius flying area will make it

a) Non visible
b) Flying over inhabited areas.
c) Probably out of range of any regular Radio Control transmitter (to take over control in case of an emergency). Radios operate "line-of-sight".

We will consider your request between the Directors...
Good luck!

xed
2008-05-12, 12:52 PM
Answers to Albert

a) It looks like it would be large enough to be visible up-to 2km away but not at the horizon due to tree lines.

b) no comment

c) R/C radios easily have a range of 3km.

If it is not in direct control by radio control, it is considered a UAV with respect to MAAC so we would not be covered in the event of property damage or personal injury. If you can convince MAAC (http://www.maac.ca/) to cover you, I don't see it as a problem to join WIMAC unless you are flying without line-of-sight.

Jeremy Cartlidge
2008-05-12, 12:55 PM
Prashant,

It may be a little more complicated and the WIMAC site would not be an ideal location. Please e-mail me more details (jeremy.cartlidge@l-3com.com) and I will let you know what is required.

peeks
2008-05-12, 03:13 PM
A question you will have to consider is that a 1 or 2 Km. radius flying area will make it

a) Non visible
b) Flying over inhabited areas.
c) Probably out of range of any regular Radio Control transmitter (to take over control in case of an emergency). Radios operate "line-of-sight".

We will consider your request between the Directors...
Good luck!

Thanks beto9! I have received more information from Jeremy Cartlidge and will be in touch with him regarding this. We aren't planning on doing tests over very long distances since the airship currently receives commands over Wifi (which just barely reaches ~100m). So once the airship is out of range, it shuts itself off automatically and assuming there aren't very strong winds, it'll sink back down to earth (negatively buoyant). Of course, we could use a radio modem to send commands which would greatly increase its range but we don't really plan on doing this.

Safety First
2008-05-12, 06:46 PM
Why dont you try it at Mc Gill MacDonald farm. Plenty of open field...

zorba
2008-05-12, 07:22 PM
Say Andre did you checked your pm's?
I sent you one this morning

Safety First
2008-05-12, 09:29 PM
Yes Bill I did send an answer check again I will resend it.