PDA

View Full Version : Wimac wildlife concern

hhuxham
2022-04-21, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I don't want to alarm anyone but I do want to warn you of a concern. I was at the field flying this evening after work around 7:30pm and I heard what sounded like a large pack of coyotes or dogs on the other side of the trees beyond the runway. I checked on google earth and see that there are no houses nor farms over there, so I presume they are wild. I was worried so I made a quick retreat. They were very loud when i was flying my EDF and quieted down after I landed. I presume the noise was their trigger. Should we call animal control ? I would hesitate to go back unarmed nor unaccompanied. Please be careful if your plane goes down over there.

alanh
2022-04-21, 06:24 AM
I was supposed to go at 11:00 this morning but forget it-I don't want to be an animals breakfast unless somebody else will also be there at 11:00. Now I have to bring a gun in my flight box lol

Jdonald
2022-04-21, 09:45 AM
There is a you tube video at a flying field next to a wooded area in the United States. Yes the sound of RC plane electric motors do excite coyotes. I did see a coyote at WIMAC one evening. It was walking into the club along the dirt road when I was at one of the tables in the pilot area. We starred at each for a few moments then it just walked away into the woods.

Sempai-mj
2022-04-21, 12:10 PM
Coyotes typically are wary of humans and it doesn't take much to drive them away.

Another good reason not to crash!

On a serious note; let's not leave any trash / food around.

Jdonald
2022-04-21, 01:27 PM
In a browser,

Type in: RCPlaneReviewer-Youtube

In the RcPlaneReviewer channel, select Videos.

Scroll down the videos to: Durafly EFX Racer Vs E-Flight

A few minutes into the video the coyotes can be heard and seen.

I wonder if the high pitched sound of the motors sound similar to an animal in

distress and cause the coyotes to become excited at feeding time in the

evening.

Any one who lives in Ste. Anne-de-Bellevue north of the TransCanada Hwy 40

regularly hears the hungry cries of the coyotes in the surrounding woods and

fields in the evening after sunset.

Right on Michael. Leaving any food or food wrappers in the shelter or around the

site will cause the coyotes to put WIMAC on their list of food sources.

alanh
2022-04-21, 01:43 PM
Now i know what they mean when they say "Dead Stick". You have a dead stick and crash in the forest and when you go get your plane you never return and a year later they find your skeleton. Another reason to switch to electric. LOL:eek:

Glenn Hole
2022-04-21, 02:55 PM
I found this on youtub.

Go to (coyote chasing rc plane youtub.)

very curious coyote.

Glenn

hhuxham
2022-04-21, 06:11 PM
I have been doing some reading and it seems Eastern Coyotes can be a bit more aggressive than Western. In packs in the spring, when they are with their young, they can be very bold. Never turn your back on them and never run but walk away. Be carful if bringing young kids or small pets to the fields as well. They were not happy with my EDF and they made the most eerie sound.

pauldaigle
2022-04-22, 01:37 PM
They must have a den nearby, there are more and more of them in this area, they come down my street on garbage night looking for food like the racoons skunks etc. They are used to humans and accordingly not scared if you approach them, therefore, they can show aggressive behavior instead of running away, some also carry rabies but that's another story, if it looks aggressive just back off and walk slowly in the opposite direction, they might just be trying to protect their young also. The only way to effectively control them is through hunting, baiting and trapping or poison, but no one does that around here. So we live with them.