PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for the first flight of a model airplane

Xavier
2022-06-06, 07:19 PM
A few incidents during first flights of models at various clubs lead me to write these few recommendations based on my experience of hundreds of first flights of my planes or other members. I was thinking of writing a few sentences, but I realize that there is a lot to say :-)
1. Before leaving home, check the weather conditions and cancel if it's not good enough. It can be useful to have 'dual rate' or even 'triple rate' for the 3 axes on 3 separate switches. This allows you to test the 3 independently. If all 3 are on the same, you could be stuck with too much one or not enough another.
2. Ask another pilot, preferably more experienced, to check the plane before the first flight. A second pair of eyes can find something you forgot. Recheck the CG, the control directions, the battery charge, etc. In full-scale aviation, there is (almost) always an inspector checking the mechanic's work.
3. Do not feel obligated to fly that day. If all the right conditions are not met, we start again another time. If you don't have much experience flying in the wind, it's not a good idea to make a first flight with 30km/h of wind. Friends who make sarcastic comments to twist your arm won’t help you pay for the damages. It is better to choose a quiet moment at the field to have fewer distractions and questions.
4. Do not hesitate to ask an instructor or an experienced pilot to do the first flight. We are stressed from spending many hours building the plane or making it looks nice. Another pilot will not have these in the back of his mind and will be only focused on the flight. This is even more important if you don’t have experience with the type of airplane or it has very different performance from what you are used to.
5. Warm up your thumbs and brain with a few flights of another plane you're comfortable with. It is even more important if you haven't flown for several weeks. This allows to check the wind and light conditions, but also the pilot’s form.
6. Ask another pilot to stand beside you in case you need help on the transmitter or anything else. Advise the other pilots that it is a first flight and preferably ask them to fly alone.
7. Practice taxiing and high-speed taxiing without taking off. Do that as many times as you need to get a good feel for the plane. Do not punch the throttle but move it progressively. This is even more important with powerful planes and/or large propellers. By going gradually, you can control the rudder and keep the plane in a straight line to take off.
8. Make a short flight (2-3 min) and small circuits to see the plane well. Climb to a safe altitude before making trim adjustments. Always keep your eyes on the plane and never look at the radio. If necessary, ask your assistant to adjust the trims. Once the trims are adjusted, check the behavior at low speed and make a mental note of the elevator and the motor position. It is not during the first approach that you want to discover this. Check the sensitivity of the controls for the 3 axes. Use dual rates as needed. The assistant can take notes for later adjustments.
9. Make several approaches at altitude at reduced speed to check the behavior of the aircraft. On each approach you lower the altitude and reduce speed while maintaining control until you are found the speed that feel right. Do not hesitate to interrupt and start again, increasing the motor gradually, if the ‘feeling’ is not good. It's almost never too late to change your mind. Ten approach practices are better than one bad landing.
10. Once the plane has returned to the ground, check that nothing is loose.
11. Rest before next flight and adjust the plane as needed. The next few flights should be approached the same way, until the plane is fully trimmed, and the pilot is comfortable. You can be too careful many times but not careful enough only once.
Xavier Mouraux
L-57581

Xavier
2022-06-06, 09:13 PM
La version originale en francais.

Quelques incidents lors de premiers vols de modèle a un de mes clubs m’amènent à écrire ces quelques recommandations basées sur mon expérience de centaines de premiers vols de mes avions ou d’autres membres. Je pensais écrire quelques phrases mais je me rends compte qu’il y a beaucoup à dire :-)
1. Avant de partir de la maison, vérifier les conditions météo et annuler si ce n’est pas assez bon. Il peut être avantageux d’avoir des ‘dual rate’ ou même ‘triple rate’ pour les 3 axes sur 3 interrupteurs séparés. Ça permet de tester les 3 indépendamment. Si les 3 sont sur le même, on peut être pris avec trop de un ou pas assez de l’autre.
2. Demander à un autre pilote, préférablement plus expérimenté de vérifier l’avion avant le premier vol. Une deuxième paire d’yeux peut trouver quelque chose qu’on a oublié. Revérifier le centre de gravité, le sens des mouvements de contrôles, la charge des batteries, etc. Dans l’aviation grandeur nature, il y a (presque) toujours un inspecteur qui vérifie le travail du mécanicien.
3. Ne pas se sentir obliger de faire le vol cette journée-là. Si toutes les bonnes conditions ne sont pas réunies, on se reprend une autre fois. Si vous n’avez pas beaucoup d’expérience à voler dans le vent, ce n’est pas une bonne idée de faire un premier vol avec 30km/h de vent. Les copains qui font des commentaires pour forcer le vol, ne seront pas là pour payer les dégâts. C’est préférable de choisir une journée et un moment tranquille au terrain pour avoir moins de distractions et questions.
4. Ne pas hésiter à demander qu’un instructeur ou un pilote d’expérience fasse le premier vol. On est énervé parce qu’on à passer du temps à construire l’avion ou à le rendre super beau. Un autre pilote n’aura pas ces arrière-pensées et sera concentré sur le vol. Ceci est encore plus important quand c’est un type d’avion qu’on ne connais pas ou qui a des performances très différentes de ce qu’on est habitué.
5. Se réchauffer les pouces et le cerveau avec quelques vols d’un autre avion avec lequel on est confortable. Encore plus important si on n’a pas fait de vol depuis plusieurs semaines. Ça permet de vérifier les conditions de vent, de visibilité mais aussi la forme du pilote.
6. Demander à un autre pilote d’être à coté de vous au cas où vous auriez besoin d’aide sur la radio ou pour autre chose. Prévenir les autres pilotes que c’est un premier vol et préférablement leur demander d’être seul en vol.
7. Pratiquer le taxi et le roulage a haute vitesse mais sans décoller. Recommencer plusieurs fois au besoin pour bien sentir l’avion. Ne pas accélérer le moteur brutalement. C’est encore plus important avec les avions puissant et/ou les grandes hélices. En allant progressivement, on peut contrôler le gouvernail et garder l’avion en ligne droite pour décoller.
8. Faire un vol court (2-3 min) et des petits circuits pour bien voir l’avion. Monter à une altitude sécuritaire avant de faire des ajustements de trim. Garder toujours les yeux sur l’avion. Ne jamais regarder la radio. Au besoin demander à votre assistant d’ajuster les trims. Une fois les trims ajuster, vérifier le comportement à basse vitesse et prendre note mentalement de la position de l’élévateur et du moteur. Ce n’est pas lors de la première approche qu’il faut découvrir ça. Vérifier la sensibilité des contrôles pour les 3 axes. Utiliser les ‘dual rate’ au besoin. L’assistant peut prendre des notes pour ajustements plus tard.
9. Faire plusieurs approches en altitude à vitesse réduite pour vérifier le comportement de l’avion. À chaque approche on baisse d’altitude et on réduit la vitesse tout en gardant le contrôle jusqu’à ce qu’on soit convaincu que c’est la bonne vitesse. N’hésitez pas à interrompre et recommencer, en augmentant le moteur de façon progressive, si le ‘feeling’ n’est pas bon. Il n’est pratiquement jamais trop tard pour changer d’avis. Dix pratiques d’approche valent mieux qu’un mauvais atterrissage.
10. Une fois l’avion revenu au sol, vérifier que rien n’est dévisser ou décoller.
11. Prendre du repos avant le prochain vol et faire les ajustements au besoin. Les quelques prochains vols doivent être approché de la même façon, tant que l’avion n’est pas complètement ajusté et que le pilote n’est pas confortable. On peut être trop prudent plusieurs fois mais pas assez prudent une seule fois.

Xavier Mouraux
L-57581

briankizner
2022-06-07, 09:16 AM
Excellent, thoughtful suggestions.

Tigron
2022-06-07, 11:00 PM
I would add a couple of cents. Though I am mostly a helicopter pilot, I had some airplane experience.

Do a precise pre-flight check. Especially make sure all control surfaces move as expected. The worst thing you can find out that some of your controls are inverted when you are already in the air.
Regarding Gyro, if you are not sure, start with factory recommended settings. Read the manual and have it with you. Experience pilots don't have to know your gyro system, but they will be able to help you figure it out if you have a manual at hand. And most likely will not, if you don't. Nobody wants to mess up with unknown black box. This relared to all electronics or even nitro engines.
For the first flight, choose the day with as little wind as possible. Fortunately there are airport near WIMAC. Use airport forcast. Or Windguru (https://www.windguru.cz/116) for your area.
Make sure, as much you set up your plane at home, your CG will still be off in flight. So, have some instruments with you to fix it in the field.
For the first flight forget about trims and dual rates. Get the idea how the plane flies without them, but note the plan in your mind what shall be fixed and how

Andrew Fernie
2022-06-08, 12:40 PM
All good points, and I think #2 is one that is missed too often. Checking control directions is so easy, right? It is also so easy to get into a mode of moving the stick to the right then to the left, check the ailerons, and automatically thinking "that looks correct." Or, even, "that doesn't seem right, but I checked it carefully at home", then mentally convince yourself that it must be right. That feeling of "it must be right" lasts until about two seconds after takeoff.

I find the easiest one to mess up is roll, so when I check I always stand behind the model. It seems to be clearer to me that way when checking the ailerons.

But, there is no substitute for having someone else check before a first flight.

Then, there is the throttle direction. Easy enough to check with a glow engine with an exposed carburetor. Tougher if the carb is hidden, and impossible with electric (I don't count listening to beeps as evidence it is good to go.) So, for electric, I suggest checking at home using a small power supply rather than a battery. A 12V supply seems to work fine for me for 3S and 4S. You just need sufficient current capacity (5A?) to allow the system to start up. If the throttle is armed then as soon as you ask for a bit of power the voltage will drop due to too much current demand and the system will reset and need to be rearmed.

For all types of engine, have the aircraft restrained in a starting stand or behind posts in the ground. For small aircraft use one of the cradles and hold it from behind.

Ian
2022-06-08, 12:59 PM
Very good post Xavier and complimentary notes Andrew!

Add me to the list of fliers having the hard lesson learned of checking CORRECT aileron movement among other surfaces. Decades ago, I agreed to fly a trainer for a student and I wiggled the sticks before take-off to make sure the surfaces moved. As Andrew said, this is complacent and dangerous especially for ailerons if you are not aware which side goes up when you move the stick to one end. I was not, and I crashed the airplane right after take-off. My heart sank and on the spot took out my wallet to offer him the full price of the kit, the engine (bent the crank shaft) and offered to build the replacement kit (thankfully the hobby shop had a spare)... monokote material on me.

Lesson/s learned: I improved my balsa building skills and before every take-off I move the aileron stick to the left and take 2 seconds to confirm which aileron side moves up. To this day, I still do. :)

Sempai-mj
2022-06-08, 02:11 PM
All very good points and will serve as a good reminder to everyone.

Yes the ailerons.....
:)

Michal
2022-06-09, 10:55 AM
Thank you Xavier. May be you have an advice for perfect landing for more advanced pilots.

Tigron
2022-06-09, 12:05 PM
and impossible with electric (I don't count listening to beeps as evidence it is good to go.) So, for electric, I suggest checking at home using a small power supply rather than a battery. A 12V supply seems to work fine for me for 3S and 4S. You just need sufficient current capacity (5A?) to allow the system to start up. If the throttle is armed then as soon as you ask for a bit of power the voltage will drop due to too much current demand and the system will reset and need to be rearmed.

Sorry, but this is wrong advice.
Almost all ESC now have throttle protection. If your throttle is upside down (or not zero), they will not arm, until you move it to zero (another direction).
If you mean motor rotation, with brushless motors you just need to change any of 2 wires out of 3. And even if you give it full throttle (that you are not supposed to do) the plane is very hard to move backward. This has never been a problem at all.
And definitely you should NEVER check it with inappropriate power supply or with propeller on.

For electric ESC the thing you really want to check is your cutoff voltage for the models that need power to fly. You definitely don't want to end with sudden power loss just a couple of meter before landing zone.
In our heli world we usually disable the cut off completely and just fly using timer and/or telemetry. And yes, we have the batteries numbered and volt checker to make sure that we didn't accidently put used battery into the model again.

Xavier
2022-06-09, 11:15 PM
Thank you Xavier. May be you have an advice for perfect landing for more advanced pilots.

Next week's lesson maybe :)

Michael O'Bree
2022-06-10, 09:24 AM
Thank you for sharing, once again, Xavier.

What stands out for me in this thread (and from many other articles written by Xavier and other experienced leaders in our hobby) is the extraordinary generosity of people such as Xavier. Having proved their excellence through international competition at the highest level, they still make the time to share their knowledge and experience by sitting down to plan, write and share comprehensive articles such as these. It is one thing to come up with additional suggestions to perfect such an article, but to develop it from scratch - much more time consuming and demanding.

Thank you Xavier, and I look forward to see your article again in the MAC magazine:)