PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a needle valve

stephane.savard
2008-05-26, 02:43 PM
I now have an OS 25fx with a broken needle valve mount. Does anyone know whether JB Weld can be used to repair the break?

BARBERIK
2008-05-26, 03:04 PM
No Stephane glow fuel will eat it's way threw.

stephane.savard
2008-05-26, 03:18 PM
Okay then, didn't know the stuff wasn't fuel proof. I'll drill a hole in what's remaining of the "arm" on the needle valve and screw it onto the firewall then. The backplate itself is not damaged, and the needle itself is also undamaged.

BARBERIK
2008-05-26, 04:17 PM
It won't right away but it will soon enough, the same with steel epoxy.

Eric Marchand
2008-05-26, 07:56 PM
Has to be a function of the methanol, as I have used loctite cold weld (same as JB weld) to repar gasoline carburators, with no issues.

André and Erik, you've had experience with this methanol - jbweld combination ?

P.S. André, your header is ready...When do you want it ?

Safety First
2008-05-26, 08:46 PM
Is it the part attached the crankcase cover or the needle housing( little tube)! If it's the tube part no:27381940 and it is screwed to the crankcase cover. Epoxy would not hold don't know about JB weld never used it.

Next week-end if it's O.K with you Éric.
Thank you.

Eric Marchand
2008-05-26, 09:03 PM
Stephane, I think it might be worth it to try LOCTITE COLD WELD, like I said, I've used it successfully on gasoline exposed parts, and it was develloped for such uses as intake manifolds, transmission housings, etc...So it's resistance to solvents is pretty broad. Make sure to use the two part product, and decontaminate the surfaces carefully, rubbing alcohol should do fine for that.

stephane.savard
2008-05-26, 10:10 PM
Bah, the part is worth 9.99$ at great hobbies (it's a new backplate with the molded arm; the arm is what is broken). I'll get a new arm one of these days, for nowe, I'll just bolt it to the firewall.