PDA

View Full Version : the rpas test

alanh
2023-02-27, 08:51 PM
I paid the $10 and took the test-It has nothing to do with model airplanes-they ask questions only a real pilot would know-It asks u what to do if u get a warning from the tower-its pure insanity-this test will destroy the hobby- who in their right mind would buy a model airplane if they have to answer such stupid questions. The only way to pass is to get all the answers and just cheat. They ask where do you get weather info or what happens when u approach geese. Its insane.

Andrew Fernie
2023-02-27, 10:04 PM
There is a study guide here https://www.aerialevolution.ca/rpas101/. The test is officially open-book (read open computer), so that should help. I am going to give it a try once I work through the guide.

Andrew Fernie
2023-02-27, 10:06 PM
You can also download the CAR from the TCCA web site, although I could only find a way to download the full set. In that case ignore all but CAR IX.

Florin
2023-02-27, 10:08 PM
Thanks Alan for opening this thread, to help each other pass the exam
Anyone, feel free to chime in your experiences in this "GENERAL DISCUSSION" forum!

Well, I just started looking at that too... as usual, the most important information is at the end :)
See from pages 116 of the document below (the main one)

https://www.aerialevolution.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Nov-27-RPAS-101_EN-Final.pdf

Matt
2023-02-27, 11:18 PM
I skimmed through the materials on Sunday and wrote the exam in half the time allotted and passed. Honestly, guys, it's not that hard. No need to panic. I think everyone can pass if you just stayed focused and answer the questions logically. You can refer to the materials to look up answers.

Xavier
2023-02-27, 11:42 PM
You could find of the answer using google. You copy-paste the question and you get the answer. Some questions are indeed completely ridiculous for model airplanes. Like 'what is the best climb rate ?' Who cares for a model airplane. They are all overpowered and will get to flying altitude by the end of the runway. However, we are stuck it.

MichaelLevy
2023-02-28, 10:03 AM
With Chatgpt you can probably do it in 10 minutes.

MichaelLevy
2023-02-28, 10:17 AM
This is the answer from Chat GPT on whether TC's new RPAS new regulations make any sense:

As an AI language model, I do not hold personal opinions. However, I can provide an analysis of the issue based on the available information.

Transport Canada's new regulations on Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) aim to ensure the safe operation of drones in Canadian airspace. The regulations require all drone operators to register their drones, obtain a pilot certificate, and follow certain operating rules.

However, the inclusion of radio-controlled airplanes in these regulations may not make sense because radio-controlled airplanes are fundamentally different from drones in several ways.

Firstly, radio-controlled airplanes are typically flown by hobbyists and enthusiasts who fly their airplanes for recreation and entertainment purposes. These airplanes are often flown at lower altitudes and in designated areas such as parks, fields, and airfields.

On the other hand, drones are typically used for commercial and industrial purposes, such as aerial photography, delivery, inspection, and surveillance. Drones can fly at higher altitudes and over longer distances, which poses a greater risk to other aircraft and people on the ground.

Secondly, radio-controlled airplanes are typically smaller and less powerful than drones, which means they pose a lower risk of injury or damage in the event of an accident. Drones, on the other hand, are larger and more powerful, which means they can cause serious harm to people and property in the event of a collision or crash.

Finally, the regulations for radio-controlled airplanes are already covered under existing regulations for model aircraft, which require operators to fly their airplanes in designated areas and follow certain safety guidelines.

In conclusion, while the new regulations on RPAS aim to promote safety and accountability in drone operations, including radio-controlled airplanes in these regulations may not make sense as they pose a lower risk to safety and are already covered under existing regulations for model aircraft.

alanh
2023-02-28, 11:10 AM
I knew years ago that drones would ruin the Rc Airplane hobby and the people who set this in motion are incompetent and just idiots. Its like forcing kids with RC cars to take the written drivers license test-absolute insanity and typical of the Liberal government obsession with controlling every aspect of peoples lives and behaviour. The next step will be forcing us to file a flight report with the Trudeau tower before we take off and getting our planes to get de-iced or maybe getting our models tested every 6 months by federal investigators for safety issues LOL:)
I also think MAAC should not grant drone flyers any membership and all RC clubs should ban these things from using our fields. Separate the 2 hobbies-let them organize their version of MAAC and have their own clubs and fields and then MAAC can go back to the government and explain the 2 entities are separate and not related to each other and then force the drone owners to have their own test and get our hobby back where it was before this drone crap was started. My opinion.

X.WAY
2023-02-28, 11:22 AM
Has the regulations gotten so bad that Canadian RC Modelers can only fly out of Plattsburgh , New York?

Here's the link :
https://www.wcax.com/2023/02/27/canadian-model-airplane-team-uses-plattsburgh-skies-practice/

Michal
2023-02-28, 12:00 PM
This is honourable Omar Alghabra, Canada Transport minister who can't tell a drone from a model airplane.

Tarek Hassoune
2023-02-28, 02:46 PM
Alan, please consider removing this comment.

Yes definitely this post should be removed

briankizner
2023-02-28, 02:58 PM
A reminder to all. We are proud to have people of many different backgrounds in WIMAC united by our love of model aircraft. We have different countries of origin, skin colour, religion, and political views. We must keep that in mind in our interactions with each other, no matter how angry we may be. There is no place in WIMAC for racism and intolerance.

WHesse
2023-02-28, 04:27 PM
Thank you Brian

Avnut
2023-02-28, 05:12 PM
Has the regulations gotten so bad that Canadian RC Modelers can only fly out of Plattsburgh , New York?

Here's the link :
https://www.wcax.com/2023/02/27/canadian-model-airplane-team-uses-plattsburgh-skies-practice/

A most unfortunate situation but it is said "Where there is will, there is a way".

Emily Cohen is one of our newest members that just started learning to fly before the Winter. She has been practising whenever possible even flying indoors with our Club.

Emily and her Team found a workaround and were able to continue toward their objective.

Please join me in congratulating their effort and wishing them all a great result in the Competition.

emilymaracohen
2023-02-28, 05:18 PM
Hi Arnold! It was me and my team in that news story! I booked it weeks ago when we had no news on when the airfields were to re-open and we needed to submit a proof of flight to our judges' panel before the second week of March! I admit that its gotten messy, but that whole trip was organized before the news :)

emilymaracohen
2023-02-28, 05:22 PM
Thank you Peter ?? I really appreciate the kind words ????

mitea_dan
2023-02-28, 05:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQnL_5fw4J0

briankizner
2023-02-28, 05:59 PM
Well done, Emily. By the way, Back in the 1990’s, my family had a cottage in the Adirondacks near Dannemora. I was already a member of WIMAC but I also joined the Plattsburgh club and flew there quite regularly. It is embarrassing for Canadian fliers to have to resort to going to the US to fly. I really hope the situation will be resolved soon.

X.WAY
2023-02-28, 06:36 PM
Thanks Emily for the reply. It's sad that you had to travel 200 kms just to fly.

Good luck in the competition

pierre sarault
2023-03-03, 08:19 PM
Comply I will if I must.

From the feedback so far it seems to be another improvised, ill-fitting and misguided attempt to regulate (read kill) an interesting and once-rewarding Hobby.

Our beloved Technocrats killed the Arrow didn`t they...and almost did the same with the C Series...and our Pension Management Technocrats lost 25 Billion$ investing in Bitcoin instead...

We should all be proud!

I will reserve for another day comments on the Hobby`s governing body (supposed to be our representatives at the FIA - CIAM) and on our enlightened technocrats who are holding us and our sport to ransom.

X.WAY
2023-03-04, 08:28 AM
If you think that it's bad with the RPAS Test, you aren't the only one. The wonderful bureaucrats at Industry Canada (Innovation and Science) are now adopting a Canada Digital Adoption program. It requires the following:

a) Photo ID using Interac verification service
c) A Canadian passport
c) A selfie

You can rest assured that it's only a matter of time before they will require all fliers to have the same of permit to fly.

Sempai-mj
2023-03-04, 09:12 AM
This a RC Club not a political forum, if you want to post about the hobby great!

If you want to complain about the governments and make disparaging remarks, email or call your MP :mad:

Here you can find a list of them.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/search
Il s'agit d'un club de radiocommande, pas d'un forum politique. Si vous voulez parler du hobby, c'est génial !

Si vous voulez vous plaindre des gouvernements et faire des remarques désobligeantes, envoyez un courriel ou appelez votre député.

Vous pouvez trouver une liste de ceux-ci ici.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/search

pierre sarault
2023-03-04, 04:17 PM
Thanks Mike for reminding me to stick to the topic of the Hobby / Sport on this and other WIMAC Conversations, I shall abide by your guidance.

Regards.

LucT
2023-03-08, 06:39 AM
Merci pour toutes ces informations, je vais sortir du mode déni :D et vais probablement étudier aussi pour passer l'examen.

Thanks for all the information and feedback, helping me move past denial mode :D and study for the exam.

Sempai-mj
2023-03-08, 07:31 AM
Merci pour toutes ces informations, je vais sortir du mode déni :D et vais probablement étudier aussi pour passer l'examen.

Thanks for all the information and feedback, helping me move past denial mode :D and study for the exam.

It's not that hard Luc!:)

fbrunet1957
2023-03-08, 12:03 PM
I did pass the test last year when they came out with it and before the exemption. It was easy. Just red all the recoomended documentation and pass at the first try.
Also registered all my planes.

If I can do it, you can to. lol:rolleyes:

Hyper
2023-03-11, 08:49 PM
Hi,
Passed today 71% , ...second attempt...after yesterday the exam has stopped with fail (62%) when I still have 6 questions to answer and still 5.30 minutes.
Today was more difficult but I was happy to pass ;).
Thank you for all informations about the exam posted on our forum, it helped me a lot! Still have to register one RPAS and then hope see you on the club field soon.
Until then,all the best to all of you!

Florin
2023-03-11, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Daniel!

JimmyG
2023-03-12, 03:10 PM
There is a study guide here https://www.aerialevolution.ca/rpas101/. The test is officially open-book (read open computer), so that should help. I am going to give it a try once I work through the guide.

I everyone is this study guide adequate for the exam or is there addition material not covered that needs to be reviewed. Listen I'm retired and don't have lots of time LOL

Florin
2023-03-12, 04:01 PM
Please see this thread
https://www.wimac.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9647

Below are the number of questions per topic.
I briefly read RPAS 101, but I checked most of the answers online, it's an open book test
You can either use ChatGPT, the best cheating tool, as my daughter said :)

Subject area Correct answers
01 AIR LAW, AIR TRAFFIC RULES AND PROCEDURES 14 of 14
02 RPAS AIRFRAMES, POWER PLANTS, PROPULSION AND SYSTEMS 2 of 2
03 HUMAN FACTORS 2 of 2
04 METEOROLOGY 2 of 2
05 NAVIGATION 4 of 4
06 FLIGHT OPERATIONS 5 of 5
07 THEORY OF FLIGHT 2 of 2
08 RADIOTELEPHONY 2 of 4

ChrisPol
2023-05-16, 08:42 AM
+1 for ChatGPT, I just passed the test last night, Unfortunatly it does not show your score when you pass. I wonder what ChatGPT scored?

Please see this thread
https://www.wimac.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9647

Below are the number of questions per topic.
I briefly read RPAS 101, but I checked most of the answers online, it's an open book test
You can either use ChatGPT, the best cheating tool, as my daughter said :)

Subject area Correct answers
01 AIR LAW, AIR TRAFFIC RULES AND PROCEDURES 14 of 14
02 RPAS AIRFRAMES, POWER PLANTS, PROPULSION AND SYSTEMS 2 of 2
03 HUMAN FACTORS 2 of 2
04 METEOROLOGY 2 of 2
05 NAVIGATION 4 of 4
06 FLIGHT OPERATIONS 5 of 5
07 THEORY OF FLIGHT 2 of 2
08 RADIOTELEPHONY 2 of 4

Florin
2023-05-16, 09:15 PM
sign in with your "drone-management-portal" on TC site

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/drone-safety/drone-management-portal

then go to "View exam results"
https://gart.tc.gc.ca/secure/UASIMS-SGISASP/eng/account/profile/exams

I can read 94% there :D

ChrisPol
2023-05-17, 06:34 AM
Ouch.. ChatGPT only scored a 74

I actually use ChatGpt for work and it needs quite a bit of correcting to get to the correct answer.