View Single Post
Old 2018-08-05
Club Director
First Name: Michael
Last Name: O'Bree
MAAC Number: 91274
WIMAC WINGS: Solo

Michael O'Bree is on a distinguished road
As a recent learner, I can highly recommend the Apprentice S 15e ($250US) assuming you want to go electric rather than mess with smelly, oily, noisy, temperamental, deadstick prone, maintenance heavy gas/glow (I do recognize that gassers love these attributes, for some strange reason ). The Apprentice batteries give at least 10 minutes flight time.

Instead of investing in expensive gas/glow engines, for electric you will need a decent charger. I am very happy with the the Hitec X4 that I bought - the updated version is now the X4 AC Pro AC/DC Four Port Multicharger ($200US).

For your Transmitter, you will need to update. A Spektrum DX6 or DX8 would do the job to start, but I invested in a DX9 ($450 US) which will almost certainly meet all my potential needs until I can no longer fly - no regrets.

Make sure you order at least one extra battery when you order your electric plane. Then you should be all set.

You can buy all these things online, or support your local hobby shop (eg Teds Hobby shop in Pointe Claire). You might pay a little more at Ted’s than online but you get excellent advice. As suggested by Brian, to really save money buy second hand (eg classifieds on WIMAC’s or other club/forum websites) otherwise online from the US eg Horizon Hobby or Canada eg Great Hobbies.

Happy Flying.

Last edited by Michael O'Bree; 2018-08-05 at 08:19 PM.