View Single Post
Old 2017-04-30
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Rochon
MAAC Number: 22647
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Kevin Rochon is on a distinguished road
Ok I was able to tare my self away from the guitar to do some work on the Harvard.

Actually I put back everything I took off. I decided I would do proper balance test. I always did it at the club with somebody helping me to hold the plane by the wing tips to approximate CG location. I have a balancer I built a long tome ago when my planes were smaller, all I had to do was to find a booster box to raise it to proper height since it was strong enough, the bird weights in around 30LB I'll have to see if I can borrow the Purolator scale we use at the office it's digital and probably more accurate then my 30+ year old bathroom scale; plus it's always lying to me

So got the plane on the balance jig with no mishap or very close, that thing is hard to handle alone.

As you can see the way the plane is right now (and the way I flew it) even at the back end of the CG it is still tail heavy (the windshield stopped it from going more down) so my dream of taking off 1LB of weight just FLEW out the window:roll eyes:

So my choice either I change the 2LB weight to a 3LB or move the engine forward or both.

The easiest for now is to just do another balance test with the 3LB and decide if that's the way to go. Most of the guys flying this same plane add about that in weight. Also they say this plane need the weight. I notice that a manufacturer of a racing version of this plane(same scale) cheated and elongated the nose by a few inches.

It flew ok with the 2 LB but I could feel it being tail heavy, had to dial in some down Elevator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg On the balancing JIG.jpg (52.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg LH balance point.jpg (29.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RH balance point.jpg (28.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Stopped by windsheild.jpg (37.2 KB, 18 views)