Old 2021-11-21
Club Director
First Name: Michael
Last Name: O'Bree
MAAC Number: 91274
WIMAC WINGS: Solo

Michael O'Bree is on a distinguished road
3D at the Dome

In context, I guess we can say anything that is not pattern flying (following the same circuit), is 3D flying.

In talking to a member who has flown at the Dome before with the Cornwall Aeromodellers club, the intention is to reduce risk of damage to the Dome upper walls/ceiling from aircraft crashes (the mid/lower sides of the Dome are protected by nets).

So the purpose of the rule is any flying that increases risk of collision with the Dome walls/ceiling is to be avoided.

So I assume the idea on the 3D rule is to minimize the situation where simultaneous pattern (circuit) flying and 3D flying might force some planes closer to the upper walls/ceiling of the Dome, thereby endangering the Dome infrastructure.

Evidently simultaneous pattern and 3D flying also increases the risk of mid-air collisions, but that is an issue for members. WIMAC members have used common sense at the Charlemagne gym to self-regulate taking turns at pattern and 3D flying when the space gets crowded with both types of flying. Every member flies at their own risk and takes care of their own aircraft repairs/replacements.

The bottom line, common sense and awareness of the risk to the infrastructure should prevail. If the Dome infrastructure gets damaged by WIMAC activities, WIMAC pays, and it won’t be cheap. I guess we could provide a reasonable rule/incentive that the first, say $1,000, on any Dome damage caused by a WIMAC member will be payable by that member.