Old 2021-06-16
Banned
First Name: alan
Last Name: Holtzman
MAAC Number: 33756
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

alanh is on a distinguished road
UBEC

Thanks guys---yes there seem to be a variety of ways to power your receiver when using electric motors. Most ESCs have an internal BEC(voltage regulator) to power the receiver and servos but if the ESC ever fails you will crash your plane. On a larger plane its a major safety issue if that happens. So its a good idea to have a separate power source supplying voltage to your receiver. Using an NIMH or LION battery is one option but using a UBEC or separate voltage regulator is another option. If the ESC fries you will still have power to the receiver thru your Lipo. I noticed later that Motion RC offers an 18 Amp UBEC that can be powered up t0 60 volts so that may work and that Castle voltage regulator at $39.95 US looks interesting as well. What was mentioned about defective NIMH batteries is also a worry. I bought all mine from Hobbyking and once before taking off I was checking all the control surfaces and everything went dead on a fully charged NIMH!! The wire from the battery shorted out and I had no power. I may just use 2 x 6 volt NIMH batteries connected in parallel(y-connector) going thru 2 switches for redundancy although the extra weight is an issue.