View Single Post
Old 2022-06-16
Past President
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Fernie
MAAC Number: 30499
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Multirotor FPV

Andrew Fernie is on a distinguished road
An interesting bit about that article is "Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or lower." I have always used the salt water technique and was discussing it with someone who pointed me to this article. The rationale is that when you put a more highly charged pack in salt water the terminals can corrode before the battery has finished discharging. As long as you get the voltage low enough before going into the salt water the amount of energy left is so small that the corrosion isn't a problem. Presumably it is the copper oxide that is acting as an insulator and stopping the discharge. I would be interested to hear if anyone has gone through the salt water process then cut the cable to get a nice clean surface and checked the voltage.

Any chemists around that would like to comment on the corrosion theory?

Straight C/10 discharge with some form of load (appropriately sized resistor, light bulb, or an electronic load) is viable.

p.s. Forget you saw any reference to slashing cells in that article (just a reference for background, the article does not recommend it). Never. Never. Never.