View Single Post
Old 2019-11-10
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Ian
Last Name: San Agustin
MAAC Number: 96252
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Ian is on a distinguished road
Update 10-Nov: Keep calm and measure twice!

Yup, this build is getting interesting!

The fuselage is now dry framed-up (not all glued yet). Crazy that it took the whole weekend only to get this far! My first major surprise: the bulkheads do not interlock squared and straight like the fuselage of the Goldberg Eagle I built last winter.... AND with the exception of the firewall bulkhead, the rest of the bulkheads are just 1/8" aircraft plywood and nothing else; no doublers or balsa side braces. This makes for flimsy and easy to break bulkheads. Second surprise: although the fuselage sides were packed at the bottom of the box, somehow they were bowed possibly from years of staying at-rest in the box. Consequent to this, it is very easy to get the fuselage out of alignment. So, for the next week, I will keep the clamp braces on the fuselage as you see on the photos to allow the wood to re-bend and resolve the situation. Next weekend, I'll go back to epoxy bonding the bulkheads fuselage top & bottom panels permanently.

Modifications made: I spent the weekend basically cutting and adding doublers, balsa traingle stocks and where necessary, added braces to the cabin bulkheads. Also, for those of you who built Goldberg Tigers before, you may (or may not?) have noticed that the side guards or cheeks of the engine had a tendency to vibrate or flutter. You'll see on one of the photos that I also added basswood lateral doublers to the side guards, that will hopefully prevent that vibration.

Lesson learned in building: You can build airplanes fast, but it may not look nor fly straight. Time, patience and a good cup of coffee (or tea) are important building tools. Also: balsa triangle stocks are amazing... they are like the duct tape for model building

Have a great week ahead folks... Cheers for now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic8.jpg (469.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg pic9.jpg (360.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg pic10.jpg (475.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg pic11.jpg (465.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg pic12.jpg (400.0 KB, 21 views)