Old 2023-03-06
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Germain
MAAC Number: 28669
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Andre Germain is on a distinguished road
Andrew,

yes I have considered it, I'd worry going less than 0.8mm skin as although its quite strong, you could puncture it with relative ease. The skin on those in the link are so thin, egg shells. My inner structure, at the same 0.8mm, quickly adds up and is a significant part of the total weight. See in the photo a cross section of the wing where the rod to connect the wing and fuselage has structure 100mm into the wing to explain that the inner and outer skin are 0.8mm. I still have to work the infill and add more layers around the rod for structural strength. I wanted honey comb, as per military A/C however the extensive transverse ribbing with variable filling circle radii is intriguing in the model you linked - I'll work that in this weekend and try it out (such variable infill are not native to Cura, will need to use a different slicer engine).

I did consider the first reel of LW-PLA for experimentation. The first few runs were to setup the slicers for R/C, followed by structural tests, and then further weight reduction, my flights are mostly touch'n'go's than flight! that punishes the structures. If I can manage VTOL or below stall CTOL, it should lessen such, more reason to shave off weight! 0.6mm nozzle is a logical next step. I'm musing of a hybrid wing where the leading and trailing edges are LW-PLA and the center is foam (skinned).

NEWS FLASH: the slicer had predicted 180gr, but I weighed it at 152gr. I plan for total wing weight under 450gr, so it achievable (the section I printed is ~1/4 of the full wing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WingCura.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	13793  

Last edited by Andre Germain; 2023-03-07 at 08:01 PM.