Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > General > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to talk about anything R/C or otherwise.

Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Finn
MAAC Number: 95442
WIMAC WINGS: Unknown

Dougf is on a distinguished road
Getting started again after many years

Hello folks
I would like advice on what a good entry level RC airplane trainer might be, plus entry level radio, and best place to buy(on-line, local store, etc.). I still have my Senior Falcon, built about 50 yrs ago(OMG), which was set up for a CRC 4 channel radio. The plane needs a few repairs, and I figured I would get a damage resistant trainer as a first step before fixing and flying my old bird. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks..Doug
Old 1 Week Ago
President
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jenkins
MAAC Number: 81213
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Sempai-mj is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Are you planning on electric or glow / Gas ?
Old 1 Week Ago
Past President
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Kizner
MAAC Number: 36125
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor

briankizner is on a distinguished road
If you want glow power and an easy, inexpensive, instant way to get started, look at the latest post in classified ads on this site. The Nexstar is a pretty good, easy to fly trainer. It is not the greatest plane- what drives me crazy about it is that the nose wheel is weak and can be occasionally difficult on takeoff. Other than that, it is durable and easy to fly. The included engine is excellent. You won’t do better for less than $300 for a complete package.
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Director
Last Name: O'Bree
MAAC Number: 91274
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Michael O'Bree is on a distinguished road
As a recent learner, I can highly recommend the Apprentice S 15e ($250US) assuming you want to go electric rather than mess with smelly, oily, noisy, temperamental, deadstick prone, maintenance heavy gas/glow (I do recognize that gassers love these attributes, for some strange reason ). The Apprentice batteries give at least 10 minutes flight time.

Instead of investing in expensive gas/glow engines, for electric you will need a decent charger. I am very happy with the the Hitec X4 that I bought - the updated version is now the X4 AC Pro AC/DC Four Port Multicharger ($200US).

For your Transmitter, you will need to update. A Spektrum DX6 or DX8 would do the job to start, but I invested in a DX9 ($450 US) which will almost certainly meet all my potential needs until I can no longer fly - no regrets.

Make sure you order at least one extra battery when you order your electric plane. Then you should be all set.

You can buy all these things online, or support your local hobby shop (eg Teds Hobby shop in Pointe Claire). You might pay a little more at Ted’s than online but you get excellent advice. As suggested by Brian, to really save money buy second hand (eg classifieds on WIMAC’s or other club/forum websites) otherwise online from the US eg Horizon Hobby or Canada eg Great Hobbies.

Happy Flying.

Last edited by Michael O'Bree; 1 Week Ago at 08:19 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
President

Great advice guys.
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Finn
MAAC Number: 95442

Dougf is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great comments, very helpful. I was thinking to go with electric to start off, just less hassle, even though I love the noise and smell etc of gas. I think I need to work first on flying skills then I can think more about the plane and engine combos. Thanks again, look forward to meeting you at the field. Doug
Old 1 Week Ago
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Greenberg

Philip Greenberg is on a distinguished road
Hi Doug,
Do I remember you as the late Gerry Finn's son?
Philip
514 995 3370
Old 1 Week Ago
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougf View Post
Thanks for the great comments, very helpful. I was thinking to go with electric to start off, just less hassle, even though I love the noise and smell etc of gas. I think I need to work first on flying skills then I can think more about the plane and engine combos. Thanks again, look forward to meeting you at the field. Doug
At lot of guys used the E-flite Apprentice, it's a good flyer & trainer even in the wind.

Here's copy & paste from a website.

"The E-flite Apprentice S 15e airplane is an exceptional trainer featuring groundbreaking SAFE technology for fearless flying. It’s a blast to fly even for the intermediate pilot who will love its maneuverability and float plane conversion option."

I'm sure Pete @ Ted's can get you one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eflite.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	12037  

Last edited by Sempai-mj; 1 Week Ago at 07:04 AM.