Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > General > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to talk about anything R/C or otherwise.

Old 2021-04-11
Club Member
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Finn
MAAC Number: 95442
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Dougf is on a distinguished road
Habu STS

Hi all,
A few notes from the maiden yesterday, with thanks to Mike, Hector and Robert for their assistance.

The plane is a PNP, and I installed an Admiral rx with gyro stabilization. Went with a 3S 3200 for the first flight, well balanced to the right CG with the battery full forward. The rx has 3 gain pots for stabilization around roll, pitch and yaw axes, and I rolled the gains back about 30% from maximum. This was way too much gain! After takeoff the plane oscillated in roll a lot, making it very hard to control the plane, but managed to get it back on the ground.

The clevis pin on the nose wheel broke off and had to be replaced, luckily Hector had a spare in his tool box. The clevis needs to be metal type, otherwise it will keep breaking.

Turned the gain way down, maybe 20 or 25% above zero, took off again and flight went much better, plane probably doesn't need any gyro at all.

The other thing that happened on both flights was that the throttle cut out at max throttle about 20 seconds after both takeoffs. Power returned by pulling back on the throttle a bit each time. There's lots of comments on RCGroups about this and basically this points to hitting LVC and/or voltage sag due to a weak battery. Apparently a battery that is perfectly good on a prop plane may not be up to powering an EDF. I have some new Admiral 4S 4000MaH 40C LIPO's that hopefully will do the trick.

Other than that, looks like a nice plane to learn how to fly EDF's and get up to speed for the Avanti.
Old 2021-04-15
Club Member

Here's an update for anyone interested:

I flew the Habu yesterday with a new freshly charged 4S 4000 40C battery. Nice smooth flight except that the same thing with power loss happened at least 3 or 4 times during the flight. The power loss usually lasted a few seconds, during which the plane would start to descend, and then it would recover power. Not a recipe for safe flying! I decided to take the plane home in one piece after just the one flight and to look into the power loss in more detail.

Turns out fail safe mode which is triggered by signal loss results in throttle being reduced to low power. I have a new Admiral RX600 stability gyro receiver in the plane, with antenna's properly oriented at 90 degrees from each other and away from obstructions. A range test was done before first flight, so it appears the problem is an intermittent receiver. I called Motion RC today, went over the whole installation and they agreed it was probably an issue with their receiver and are sending me a replacement right away. Great customer service!

Hope this is info is helpful, please let me know if any comments or questions.
Doug
Old 2021-04-16
Club Director
First Name: Michael
Last Name: O'Bree
MAAC Number: 91274
WIMAC WINGS: Solo

Michael O'Bree is on a distinguished road
Very interesting - thanks for sharing Doug.

I have added some tags to this thread to help people find the info. by searching the website if they have similar symptoms.
Old 2021-04-16
Club Member
First Name: Mezri
Last Name: Filali
MAAC Number: 91499
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Mezri is on a distinguished road
Hi Doug, congratulation for the habu ,...Is your ESC well ventilated, with the heat sink facing open air (Not glued on surface) ? An ESC with bad cooling can cose cutoff because of over heat.
Old 2021-04-17
Club Member
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Daigle
MAAC Number: 65102

pauldaigle is on a distinguished road
Just a thought, but several people have reported a dead zone area approx. 100 yards east of the field that could be caused by the Cell tower nearby. They also seem to have added 5G elements to the tower lately. Don't know if your receivers front end can be affected by same. Maybe someone with more knowledge of RFI/ EMI etc. etc. can provide some insight into this. Thank you.

Last edited by pauldaigle; 2021-04-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2021-04-17
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael O'Bree View Post
Very interesting - thanks for sharing Doug.

I have added some tags to this thread to help people find the info. by searching the website if they have similar symptoms.
Thanks for adding the tags Michael
Old 2021-04-17
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezri View Post
Hi Doug, congratulation for the habu ,...Is your ESC well ventilated, with the heat sink facing open air (Not glued on surface) ? An ESC with bad cooling can cose cutoff because of over heat.
Hi Mezri, thanks for the suggestion. The ESC installation is the stock setup from the factory, and the plane has vents to direct airflow to the inside of the fuselage. I will have to check how the heat sinks are located. There are a few other folks at the club who have the same plane and setup and I will check with them as well.

I changed transmitters and rebound the aircraft and flew it 3 times today, still had one or two power drops but not as many as before. I'll change out the rx when I get it from Motion RC. Meantime, as long as I stay close to the field it seems relatively safe to fly with this intermittent issue.
Old 2021-04-17
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldaigle View Post
Just a thought, but several people have reported a dead zone area approx. 100 yards east of the field that could be caused by the Cell tower nearby. They also seem to have added 5G elements to the tower lately. Don't know if your receivers front end can be affected by same. Maybe someone with more knowledge of RFI/ EMI etc. etc. can provide some insight into this. Thank you.
Thanks Paul, seems to be happening all over the place. This RFI/EMI stuff is like chasing ghosts! I'm more concerned about the dead zone between my ears when I fly my planes into the trees.
Old 2021-04-18
Club Member
First Name: Mezri
Last Name: Filali
MAAC Number: 91499
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Mezri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougf View Post
seems to be happening all over the place.
An other reason to think realy about the ESC...Even from factory, I saw many stupidities from factory ...there is one nice flat surface on the ESC, and an other bumpy surface. By reflex, I so many putting the double side foam tape, and glue that surface...Bad...that is the heatsink surfce taht need some air.

Even if your ESC is well positioned, try to exchange it with an other,...in your process "by elimination", it might be faulty.
Old 2021-04-18
Club Member
First Name: John
Last Name: MacDonald
MAAC Number: 95190

Jdonald is on a distinguished road
The HABU is available in two versions, the BNF and PNP.
The BNF version is designed to be a easy to fly 1st jet. $399.99 U.S.$
The PNP version is a not so easy to fly 1st jet. $219.99 U.S$
The BNF version comes with a flight controller and serial receiver. The flight controller has the dual diversity antenna. The antenna lead extensions are longer
than say the AR636A receivers.
These foam jets contain a fair quentity of carbon fiber reinforcement. The battery occupies about 25% of the aircraft. As a result there is plenty on board the aircraft to block the signal to the antenna and cause a hold, the receiver moves the channel outputs to the failsafe setting. It is possible your receiver and or setup is not compatible for this aircraft.
However an extensive range test should be done to ensure that signal loss to the receiver is not the cause of the problem before flying.

Last edited by Jdonald; 2021-04-18 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling correction