Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > General > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to talk about anything R/C or otherwise.

Old 2021-04-18
Club Member
First Name: John
Last Name: MacDonald
MAAC Number: 95190
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Jdonald is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify a couple of points, with the BNF version price difference this version also comes with a transmitter, charger and the batteries. It appears this is really designed to be a persons first RC aircraft. Personally I think a Sport Cub-S is a better choice. But if this is what it takes to attract someone to the RC hobby lets hope this approach it the right one.
The second clarification is about the longer antenna leads. The antenna are not longer only the antenna leads. This allows for more flexibility of location and the antenna can be moved further away from objects such as batteries, receivers that can block the transmitter signal.
Old 2021-04-19
Club Member
First Name: Raymond
Last Name: Bergeron
MAAC Number: 88865
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Park Flyers

raymondb is on a distinguished road
From your description of the behavior, I think the ESC programmation is to blame. There are usually two setting:

1- Low voltage detection threshold: can be set to High, mid, or Low. If it is currently set to high, the batteries voltage drop caused by the high current pulled by the motor will cause an early low voltage detection. (it should be set to low)

2- The Low voltage action: When low voltage is detected (see conditions above), the reaction of the ESC can be set to MOTOR CUT (this is probably what you have now) or to REDUCED POWER (this is what you should have).

Most ESC have these two settings available but each brand name and model have their own list of options and programmation mode. You will need to do a search on the web for how to program your specific ESC (brand and model).
Old 2021-04-19
Club Member
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Finn
MAAC Number: 95442

Dougf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezri View Post
An other reason to think realy about the ESC...Even from factory, I saw many stupidities from factory ...there is one nice flat surface on the ESC, and an other bumpy surface. By reflex, I so many putting the double side foam tape, and glue that surface...Bad...that is the heatsink surfce taht need some air.

Even if your ESC is well positioned, try to exchange it with an other,...in your process "by elimination", it might be faulty.
Thanks Mezri, I'll check that. FYI I changed from a DX9 to a DX6e transmitter yesterday, no power loss. Very strange.
Old 2021-04-19
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdonald View Post
The HABU is available in two versions, the BNF and PNP.
The BNF version is designed to be a easy to fly 1st jet. $399.99 U.S.$
The PNP version is a not so easy to fly 1st jet. $219.99 U.S$
The BNF version comes with a flight controller and serial receiver. The flight controller has the dual diversity antenna. The antenna lead extensions are longer
than say the AR636A receivers.
These foam jets contain a fair quentity of carbon fiber reinforcement. The battery occupies about 25% of the aircraft. As a result there is plenty on board the aircraft to block the signal to the antenna and cause a hold, the receiver moves the channel outputs to the failsafe setting. It is possible your receiver and or setup is not compatible for this aircraft.
However an extensive range test should be done to ensure that signal loss to the receiver is not the cause of the problem before flying.
Hi John,
Thanks for all your comments. I bought the PNP version for 2 main reasons. Firstly I didn't want another transmitter and all the automation gizmo's and secondly, I wanted a bit of an easier EDF to learn on before going back to the Avanti with its retract gear and flaps.

I put an Admiral 6 channel rx in it that has a stability gyro, which helps this light jet in turbulence. I agree with your comment that the PNP is a "not so easy" jet to fly. Meanwhile I bound a DX6e to the rx yesterday, as I saw a YouTube video where the guy had reception issues with a DX8 which went away when he switched to a DX6. Lo and behold, my flights yesterday were without power loss.

Had a helmet fire on my second flight, came in too slow on one of my approaches, stalled a wing and it rolled over and hit the ground. a couple of clean breaks, so not too serious, but its an important lesson to keep speed up and flowing over the control surfaces on EDF's. There's no prop wash!
Old 2021-04-19
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondb View Post
From your description of the behavior, I think the ESC programmation is to blame. There are usually two setting:

1- Low voltage detection threshold: can be set to High, mid, or Low. If it is currently set to high, the batteries voltage drop caused by the high current pulled by the motor will cause an early low voltage detection. (it should be set to low)

2- The Low voltage action: When low voltage is detected (see conditions above), the reaction of the ESC can be set to MOTOR CUT (this is probably what you have now) or to REDUCED POWER (this is what you should have).

Most ESC have these two settings available but each brand name and model have their own list of options and programmation mode. You will need to do a search on the web for how to program your specific ESC (brand and model).
Hi Raymond,
This is really helpful, thanks. I'll check into it and see what needs to be changed in the ESC programming. Meantime I have some foam gluing to do thanks to a rollover yesterday. I'm also going to log a few hours on RF9.5 with the wind turned up before I fly it again. See you soon. Doug
Old 2021-04-19
Club Member

Sorry to hear about the damage to your plane yesterday. But you are a seasoned flyer and know that planes are easy to damage. You know that repairs are part of this hobby. I mentioned the price comparison between the two versions as the complete package appears to be directed towards someone trying to get started in this hobby. Imagine someone new to this hobby paying $600 Canadian and doing extensive damage on the very first flight. RC Geek has a video where his son with very little experience flys the Habu and the father calls it a success. But the father talked him through how control the plane and guided him on the landing. The plane was damaged and in need of repairs. $600 for one flight might be a turnoff someone new to the this hobby. However at WIMC we are lucky to have Raymond B. to guide us on how handle these jets.
Old 2021-04-20
Club Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the damage to your plane yesterday. But you are a seasoned flyer and know that planes are easy to damage. You know that repairs are part of this hobby. I mentioned the price comparison between the two versions as the complete package appears to be directed towards someone trying to get started in this hobby. Imagine someone new to this hobby paying $600 Canadian and doing extensive damage on the very first flight. RC Geek has a video where his son with very little experience flys the Habu and the father calls it a success. But the father talked him through how control the plane and guided him on the landing. The plane was damaged and in need of repairs. $600 for one flight might be a turnoff someone new to the this hobby. However at WIMC we are lucky to have Raymond B. to guide us on how handle these jets.
Thanks John. I saw that RC Geek video and it struck me as a promo for the product. Some of these YouTube reviewers are a bit biased in their reviews it seems. I noticed when his son landed the Habu, it did a good bounce, and the nose wheel was turning loosely when his Dad picked up the plane. Must have broken the clevis pin like I did. Anyway, my bird is almost back in flying shape, will post a pic when it's airworthy. Cheers.
Old 2021-04-20
Club Member

Hi Doug,
Check this Video "Flight Habu STS Perfect RC Smart Jet for Beginners"
It is 11:18 min
It is about 3 persons assembling the Habu and first flight. Near the end of the video they mention there was some problem similar to what you experienced when using a DX8 transmitter. When a older 7 channel transmitter was used the problem did not arise.
Old 2021-04-20
Club Member

Habu 2.0

All foam tac'd and ready to go. Just need to check the ESC programming and fly the sim a whole lot more. Looking at the forecast, add ski's??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Habu 2.0.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	860.4 KB
ID:	13169  
Old 2021-04-21
Club Member

Quote:
Hi Doug,
Check this Video "Flight Habu STS Perfect RC Smart Jet for Beginners"
It is 11:18 min
It is about 3 persons assembling the Habu and first flight. Near the end of the video they mention there was some problem similar to what you experienced when using a DX8 transmitter. When a older 7 channel transmitter was used the problem did not arise.
Hi John,
That's exactly the video I was referring to in post #14 above! I switched from a DX9 transmitter(recent vintage) to my original DX6e transmitter about 3 years old, and presto, the problem went away. Go figure. CU soon. Doug