Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > R/C > Projects and Builds

Projects and Builds Share your project builds, tips and tricks.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
First Name: Michal
Last Name: Kuczewski
MAAC Number: 97129
WIMAC WINGS: Unknown

Michal is on a distinguished road
Servo connection

Hello Gentlemen,
I have a question for experts. I have two servos connected with a split cable as shown in the picture. They are driving two independent flaps and would like them to rotate in opposite direction. I only managed to rotate them in the same direction. How to fix that? Thank you for any help
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1393.JPG  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Director
First Name: Florin
Last Name: Mos
MAAC Number: 94573
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Florin is on a distinguished road
Hi Michal,

I'm not an expert, but since the servos are controlled by one channel, you have to install them physically "in opposite" orientation.
See image below:
So, assuming that both servos turn clockwise, the LHS AIL will go down (servo pull) and the RHS AIL will go up (servo push)
Attached Thumbnails
michal.jpg  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member

Thank you Florin but I would like to reverse them electrically by switching wires. Changing position of the servo mechanically would be a lot of rework.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Director
First Name: Florin
Last Name: Mos
MAAC Number: 94573

Florin is on a distinguished road
1) Rotate the servo
2) Use an in-line servo reverser
3) Plug flap servos into different channels on the receiver and mix them.
4) https://youtu.be/hnd1zwouWV4
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Levy
MAAC Number: 15553

MichaelLevy is on a distinguished road
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...___store=en_us
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Past President
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Fernie
MAAC Number: 30499
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Multirotor FPV

Andrew Fernie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
Hello Gentlemen,
I have a question for experts. I have two servos connected with a split cable as shown in the picture. They are driving two independent flaps and would like them to rotate in opposite direction. I only managed to rotate them in the same direction. How to fix that? Thank you for any help
Do you have a spare channel on your receiver? If so, plug the two servos in different channels and use a mix on your transmitter to drive the second channel from the first, but inverted. Most transmitters these days can do this, although the details of how to set it up vary from model to model so tough to give specific instructions. If you have a removable wing you will have to connect the wires each time you assemble the plane and there is always a danger of plugging them in backwards. This will ruin your day if you don't catch it in your preflight checks so I put a piece of colored heat shrink tubing or electrical tape around the matching connector pair to make it clear which is which.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Past President
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Fernie
MAAC Number: 30499
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Multirotor FPV

Andrew Fernie is on a distinguished road
Looks like you have an Orange T-SIX transmitter. If so, then section 9 of the manual describes the mixes. The "master" channel is the channel you are using now, and the "slave" channel is the one you plug the second servo into. Make sure that the mix is always active, not enabled by a switch. The amount of mixing should be 100%, and the trim option should be set to link to the active channel. I have never used that radio, so can't help much on the subtleties of the setup.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member

Andrew Fernie;57789]Looks like you have an Orange T-SIX transmitter. If so, then section 9 of the manual describes the mixes. The "master" channel is the channel you are using now, and the "slave" channel is the one you plug the second servo into. Make sure that the mix is always active, not enabled by a switch. The amount of mixing should be 100%, and the trim option should be set to link to the active channel. I have never used that radio, so can't help much on the subtleties of the setup.

Thank you gentlemen for your help, I have seven channels and could use the mixer but I think the servo reverser would be the easiest.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
First Name: Hector
Last Name: Parra
MAAC Number: 91261

Hector is on a distinguished road
Reverse the servo direction by "switching wires" requires to modify the potentiometer wiring inside the servo; this means re-soldering each servo you want to reverse, you will have to modify both. There are few tutorials in YouTube. High risk of damaging the servo... it is deep waters.

The solution proposed by Andrew is IMO the best way to do it. Use the mix radio function to reverse servo direction. You only need to reverse one channel and keep using the Y cable

Below is the link for OrangeRx T-SIX manual
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/...1444783X13.pdf

Another option could be just flipping the servo and the servo arm, instead of pushing it will be pulling. It might require some modification to the servo bay and relocation of the flaps horns.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Reverse the servo direction by "switching wires" requires to modify the potentiometer wiring inside the servo; this means re-soldering each servo you want to reverse, you will have to modify both. There are few tutorials in YouTube. High risk of damaging the servo... it is deep waters.

The solution proposed by Andrew is IMO the best way to do it. Use the mix radio function to reverse servo direction. You only need to reverse one channel and keep using the Y cable

Below is the link for OrangeRx T-SIX manual
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/...1444783X13.pdf

Another option could be just flipping the servo and the servo arm, instead of pushing it will be pulling. It might require some modification to the servo bay and relocation of the flaps horns.
Thank you Hector, that is exactly what I did. Soldeing was a little challenging due to tiny size of connectors but I managed. The modified servo works.