Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > General > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to talk about anything R/C or otherwise.

Old 4 Days Ago
Club Member
First Name: Graham
Last Name: Cairns
MAAC Number: 96958
WIMAC WINGS: Unknown

Cairnsy is on a distinguished road
Equipment

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased an extra battery for my plane. Is there any other accessories I need as a beginner RC pilot?

Thank you
Graham
Old 4 Days Ago
Club Member
First Name: John
Last Name: MacDonald
MAAC Number: 95190
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Jdonald is on a distinguished road
Extra elastic bands to attach the wing to the fuselage. They eventually crack and break.
I believe the prop screw is 10mm. Have a wrench just in case the prop screw comes loose. Having a spare prop or two is handy if one should break.
A Phillips screw driver is required to remove the nose cone spinner.
The front landing gear has a tendency to come loose so a Phillips screw driver that has a good bit on the screw attaching the nose wheel to the engine fire wall is good to keep in your tool box you bring to the field. This screw driver should fit the collars that keep the wheels attached.
A roll of clear packing tape and scissors. The horizontal and vertical stabilizer are covered with vinyl. The vinyl has a tendency to come apart at the seams especially in cold weather. I cover the seams with hinge tape and this prevents the vinyl from ripping open in the air. This saves buying new stabilizers. The clear tape can be used for field repairs. A bottle of Foam Safe CA glue is a necessary item. For a fast repair a bottle of CA accelerator is nice to have. One very important tip. Check the C.G. This can be adjusted by sliding the battery back and forth until the plane balances or is slightly nose heavy. Never never tail heavy. Mark the location so the battery can always be installed in this location. A package of hook and loop tape is necessary to keep the battery from sliding around in the battery compartment. Hope this helps. Keep your fingers away from the prop. Electric planes can attack you. So keep a package of band-aids in the tool box just in case.
Old 4 Days Ago
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Givis
MAAC Number: 76800
WIMAC WINGS: Solo (Heli + Airplanes)

JimmyG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdonald View Post
Extra elastic bands to attach the wing to the fuselage. They eventually crack and break.
I believe the prop screw is 10mm. Have a wrench just in case the prop screw comes loose. Having a spare prop or two is handy if one should break.
The front landing gear has a tendency to come loose so a Phillips screw driver that has a good bit on the screw attaching the nose wheel to the engine fire wall is good to keep in your tool box you bring to the field. This screw driver should fit the collars that keep the wheels attached.
A roll of clear packing tape and scissors. The horizontal and vertical stabilizer are covered with vinyl. The vinyl has a tendency to come apart at the seams especially in cold weather. I cover the seams with hinge tape and this prevents the vinyl from ripping open in the air. This saves buying new stabilizers. The clear tape can be used for field repairs. A bottle of Foam Safe CA glue is a necessary item. For a fast repair a bottle of CA accelerator is nice to have. One very important tip. Check the C.G. This can be adjusted by sliding the battery back and forth until the plane balances or is slightly nose heavy. Never never tail heavy. Mark the location so the battery can always be installed in this location. A package of hook and loop tape is necessary to keep the battery from sliding around in the battery compartment. Hope this helps. Keep your fingers away from the prop. Electric planes can attack you. So keep a package of band-aids in the tool box just in case.

Hi John Excellent info. I will throw out a question to all. What are you DIY's for the most required and necessary SAFE fixes for fixed wing as well as rotary
Old 4 Days Ago
President
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jenkins
MAAC Number: 81213
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Sempai-mj is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

I will throw out a question to all. What are you DIY's for the most required and necessary SAFE fixes for fixed wing as well as rotary

What exactly are you asking?
SAFE fixes?

Cairnsy:
Make sure you read the SAFETY RULES found at this link:

https://www.wimac.ca/index.php?page=rules

Last edited by Sempai-mj; 4 Days Ago at 05:28 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
Club Member
First Name: John
Last Name: MacDonald
MAAC Number: 95190
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Jdonald is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim. I gather from your messages you are eager to learn to fly. As you can see there is a substantial learning process to fly radio control aircrafts even a trainer. These aircrafts are not toys and there are regulations everyone must adhere to. You instructor will inform and guide you during the teaching process. Good luck. Now with the virus affecting everyone times are difficult and affecting our daily routines. We are fortunate to have the WIMAC website to keep us informed and uptodate.
Old 4 Days Ago
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairnsy View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased an extra battery for my plane. Is there any other accessories I need as a beginner RC pilot?

Thank you
Graham
Thank you. That’s amazing.
Old 4 Days Ago
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdonald View Post
Thank you very much for this.
Old 3 Days Ago
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Givis
MAAC Number: 76800
WIMAC WINGS: Solo (Heli + Airplanes)

JimmyG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempai-mj View Post
Hi Jim,

I will throw out a question to all. What are you DIY's for the most required and necessary SAFE fixes for fixed wing as well as rotary

What exactly are you asking?
SAFE fixes?

Cairnsy:
Make sure you read the SAFETY RULES found at this link:

https://www.wimac.ca/index.php?page=rules
Hi Mike, I guess I should clarify. My question in general was some tips on repair without spending cash and with what is on hand in your home
"SAFE fixes" In my years of flying I've seen a lot, not really going to get in to that
Old 3 Days Ago
President
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jenkins
MAAC Number: 81213
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Sempai-mj is on a distinguished road
"Hi Mike, I guess I should clarify. My question in general was some tips on repair without spending cash and with what is on hand in your home
"SAFE fixes" In my years of flying I've seen a lot, not really going to get in to that"

Ah yeah I hear you, lots of epoxy and tape flying around.
Loose firewalls
Elastics snapping in midair, etc...

LOL