Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > R/C > Projects and Builds

Projects and Builds Share your project builds, tips and tricks.

Old 2017-04-21
Club Member
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Rochon
MAAC Number: 22647
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Kevin Rochon is on a distinguished road
Well who says you can't do aerobatics with a warbird trainer, Bobby Younkin prove them wrong. How about a snap on take off and on top of a loop and just to add spice a rolling circle.....enjoy

https://youtu.be/ah3Jwz8veSY

Not sure I will do the snap on take off but the other ones I give it a try for sure.
Old 2017-04-22
President
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jenkins
MAAC Number: 81213

Sempai-mj is on a distinguished road
Nice flight, looks like it was filmed with a vintage camera, light tracers through the sky.
Old 2017-04-22
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempai-mj View Post
Nice flight, looks like it was filmed with a vintage camera, light tracers through the sky.
That's because it was from 1993. Bobby Younkin flew until 2005 when he had a mid-air with Jim Franklin in Moose Jaw.
Old 2017-04-24
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Xavier
Last Name: Mouraux
MAAC Number: 57581
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Xavier is on a distinguished road
Very impressive. Now I want a T6 in my collection :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rochon View Post
Well who says you can't do aerobatics with a warbird trainer, Bobby Younkin prove them wrong. How about a snap on take off and on top of a loop and just to add spice a rolling circle.....enjoy

https://youtu.be/ah3Jwz8veSY

Not sure I will do the snap on take off but the other ones I give it a try for sure.
Old 2017-04-30
Club Member

Ok I was able to tare my self away from the guitar to do some work on the Harvard.

Actually I put back everything I took off. I decided I would do proper balance test. I always did it at the club with somebody helping me to hold the plane by the wing tips to approximate CG location. I have a balancer I built a long tome ago when my planes were smaller, all I had to do was to find a booster box to raise it to proper height since it was strong enough, the bird weights in around 30LB I'll have to see if I can borrow the Purolator scale we use at the office it's digital and probably more accurate then my 30+ year old bathroom scale; plus it's always lying to me

So got the plane on the balance jig with no mishap or very close, that thing is hard to handle alone.

As you can see the way the plane is right now (and the way I flew it) even at the back end of the CG it is still tail heavy (the windshield stopped it from going more down) so my dream of taking off 1LB of weight just FLEW out the window:roll eyes:

So my choice either I change the 2LB weight to a 3LB or move the engine forward or both.

The easiest for now is to just do another balance test with the 3LB and decide if that's the way to go. Most of the guys flying this same plane add about that in weight. Also they say this plane need the weight. I notice that a manufacturer of a racing version of this plane(same scale) cheated and elongated the nose by a few inches.

It flew ok with the 2 LB but I could feel it being tail heavy, had to dial in some down Elevator.
Attached Thumbnails
On the balancing JIG.jpg   LH balance point.jpg   RH balance point.jpg  

Stopped by windsheild.jpg  
Old 2017-04-30
President

Nice to see you back at the Harvard, could a e heavy brass nose cone/drum you could install....
I have one you could try it, if it works your welcome to it. I don't know the thread size.
It's exactly 1 lb.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5652.JPG  

Last edited by Sempai-mj; 2017-04-30 at 07:04 PM.
Old 2017-04-30
Club Member

Thanks for the offer Michael, but my special AT-6 spinner from Tru-Turn cost me 75+$ so I intend to use it, but I'll keep that in mind.

The bolt is a M10 x 1.25
Old 2017-05-07
Club Member

Ok today I decided to do some work. So I figured out the most I coud move the 2lb weight was 1.5" so just had to use a 2x3 to make a block spacer, fortunately I had 2 bolts that were long enough.

So after installing it I reassembled the plane to check the CG and it's still behind the back of CG by 1/4". So I had a 3lb weight and with that it goes to the middle point of the CG.

So I need to decide If I'm going with the 3lb or stay with the 2lb. It flew ok with the 2lb just needed some down trim and now it will need less
Attached Thumbnails
2lb weight original position.jpg   2lb weight & spacer block.jpg   2lb weight new position 1,5%22.jpg  

CG 1:4%22 behind back LH.jpg   CG 1:4%22 behind back RH.jpg   3lb weight.jpg  

CG in middle with 3lb weght.jpg  
Old 2017-05-08
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rochon View Post
Ok today I decided to do some work. So I figured out the most I coud move the 2lb weight was 1.5" so just had to use a 2x3 to make a block spacer, fortunately I had 2 bolts that were long enough.

So after installing it I reassembled the plane to check the CG and it's still behind the back of CG by 1/4". So I had a 3lb weight and with that it goes to the middle point of the CG.

So I need to decide If I'm going with the 3lb or stay with the 2lb. It flew ok with the 2lb just needed some down trim and now it will need less
Can you make an aluminum bracket to extend the weight forward, you might need less ??

Something like one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
alum bracket.png  

Last edited by Sempai-mj; 2017-05-09 at 06:58 AM.
Old 2017-05-08
Club Member

my bracket is ok (old school),but I guess I will try to move the engine a bit forward, I don't want to go with one more pound