Welcome to the WIMAC forums.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   WIMAC > R/C > Projects and Builds

Projects and Builds Share your project builds, tips and tricks.

Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
First Name: Ian
Last Name: San Agustin
MAAC Number: 96252
WIMAC WINGS: Solo Planes

Ian is on a distinguished road
Tiger 2 by Carl Goldberg

Hi Everyone!

November is here and having flown my last flights for the season, I am happy to share with you all my build log of my next airplane: The Tiger 2 by Carl Goldberg.

Quick background: I tend to be a little "old school" in my interests with RC-flying because I originally learned to fly back in the mid-80s. Back then, the airplanes I learned to adore were the airplanes with long-tail moments, dorsal fins, the classic precision aerobatic airplanes. The Tiger 2 fits my list of a pattern aerobatic trainer and old school nostalgia perfectly. There will be some modifications I will integrate to this project.

Last night I framed up the fin and rudder. My first modification: an increase to the rudder area. With a slightly wider rudder, I am looking forward to better rudder authority for knife edge flights, while minimizing any drag effects from too large surfaces.

So far so good, will post my next log the next weekend. Catch you all later!
Attached Thumbnails
pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic3.jpg  

pic4.jpg  
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Rochon
MAAC Number: 22647
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor Plane

Kevin Rochon is on a distinguished road
Ian you're going to have fun with that plane. Myself I built the Tiger 60, it was an easy built. I built it with the same scheme with the hockey stick design in red the only thing I added was Robart strut cover to give it a more scale look. Also I put a .90 4 stroke on it.

It is a great flyer, great for learning aerobatic as it is a precise flyer. A lot of member had the ARF version a while back.

So good luck with it.
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rochon View Post
Ian you're going to have fun with that plane. Myself I built the Tiger 60, it was an easy built. I built it with the same scheme with the hockey stick design in red the only thing I added was Robart strut cover to give it a more scale look. Also I put a .90 4 stroke on it.

It is a great flyer, great for learning aerobatic as it is a precise flyer. A lot of member had the ARF version a while back.

So good luck with it.
Thank you Kevin, I am certainly looking forward to flying this airplane next season!

I believe I may have seen you towards the end of this flying season; my apologies if I did not get to introduce myself. I look forward to showing you this airplane when it's ready and have our salutations!
Old 1 Week Ago
Past President
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Kizner
MAAC Number: 36125
WIMAC WINGS: Instructor

briankizner is on a distinguished road
Love the Goldberg Tiger. Perhaps my favourite plane of the many I’ve owned over the years was a small .20 version I built from a kit and flew in the early Nineties. When, after a few years of flying and rebuilding, it finally met its demise, I was terribly disappointed to find that the .20 model was discontinued (I believe it was called the Junior Tiger) . I also had a .40 ARF version a few years later. The .20 kit I built before ARFs took over was easy to build and was an excellent flier. They were as easy to take off and land as any trainers but could also do almost any aerobatics you’d want. Good looking planes as well.
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankizner View Post
Love the Goldberg Tiger. Perhaps my favourite plane of the many I’ve owned over the years was a small .20 version I built from a kit and flew in the early Nineties. When, after a few years of flying and rebuilding, it finally met its demise, I was terribly disappointed to find that the .20 model was discontinued (I believe it was called the Junior Tiger) . I also had a .40 ARF version a few years later. The .20 kit I built before ARFs took over was easy to build and was an excellent flier. They were as easy to take off and land as any trainers but could also do almost any aerobatics you’d want. Good looking planes as well.
Hi Brian... My 4 channel trainer back in '87 was a Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50. Like many Goldberg kits, it was also easy to assemble... too easy in fact that my former flying colleagues called these kits ARF .

Btw... Hangar9/horizon hobby brought back the Goldberg tiger, but it's a big airplane... 30cc size. If they make a 10cc size, that would be interesting. Cheers!
Old 1 Week Ago
Non-WIMAC Member
First Name: Xavier
Last Name: Mouraux
MAAC Number: 57581

Xavier is on a distinguished road
I loved my Tiger back in 1998 and I learned a lot with it (the yellow one below). I regreted selling it. Last year, I found a used one and installed the same motor I was using 20 years ago. It flew as well I remember. Almost as easy to fly as the Eagle trainer of the same manufacturer but better at rolls and inverted flying. Knife edge is not great because of the small fuse so it has to be done at high speed.
It's more gentle than the full aerobatic airplanes obviously thanks to the big wing and load wing loading.
Attached Thumbnails
tiger2xm_2.jpg   2018-0830__sky-tiger (1).jpg  
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I loved my Tiger back in 1998 and I learned a lot with it (the yellow one below). I regreted selling it. Last year, I found a used one and installed the same motor I was using 20 years ago. It flew as well I remember. Almost as easy to fly as the Eagle trainer of the same manufacturer but better at rolls and inverted flying. Knife edge is not great because of the small fuse so it has to be done at high speed.
It's more gentle than the full aerobatic airplanes obviously thanks to the big wing and load wing loading.
Thank you for your comments Xavier.... if I'm not mistaken, that looks like a Tiger 1 (aka Sky Tiger)? Beautiful airplane, I hope it is still flying well. Thank you as well for your comments on its limitations to knife edge attitude. If I can keep it steady for a few seconds to do a 4-point roll, I will be happy. Cheers!
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
First Name: Theodor-Dan
Last Name: Mitea
MAAC Number: 77638

mitea_dan is on a distinguished road
Félicitations. Je désir un…
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
First Name: Krishna
Last Name: Blake
MAAC Number: 10574

Krish is on a distinguished road
A little history on the Tiger series, including the 2

As some of you may be aware, I soloed back in 1971 or 72! Dave Patrick who designed the Tiger series was a Montrealer back then! He lived in St. Anne de Belview near the locks and the house he rented then is still there as I passed there and saw it recently. He loved to fly RC and he and I used to fly along a road which was part of the College before McGill took over. A particular memory of flying with him was interesting. In winter, we use to fly from inside our cars on 72Mhz, with the antenna sticking out a small crack in the window after take off and used the Windshield as our window of flying area. In those days I was still working at Udisco repairing Radio gear. My last contact with him was about 5-6 years ago. He still lives around Chicago and had started his own business, selling his designs at www.davepatrickmodels.com But I see the domain is for sale.

I can also say the Tiger 2 was always my favorite plane as "just for fun" flying and suited my flying style very well, especially a few feet above ground. I never had any major accidents and was flying it in Jamaica until I left 2 years ago, selling off the planes I had shipped there, one person bought all 5 and he still flies the old reliable, which I acquired some decades ago. Ian, you will enjoy this model aircraft. Apology for long windedness.
Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitea_dan View Post
Félicitations. Je désir un…
Merci Dan!